Unable to create boot media on Supermicro server

crusader27529

Dabbler
I have a Supermicro X7DBU/X7DGU based server with 32GB of ECC memory, and I'm unable to install 11.2u7. The system has 1 SATA drive for now, connected directly to a MB port, so there's no HBA or other controller involved. I never get even close to a complete install.

I've tried multiple USB drives for both the install and boot media, of various sizes and manufacturers, and tried installs from CD and USB, with the exact same results.

The install media boots fine, and it looks like it copies the contents to RAM, and then 'boots' from that copy successfully. I get expected screen that lets me start the install, and the next screen where it lets me select the destination media, either da0 or da1 depending if I booted from a USB stick or CD. Then it asks if I want to install, and I select yes, followed by the password screen. Here's where it gets strange......If I enter a password, then tab to confirm, if I just enter, it appears top work better most of the time. If I tab to the OK, then enter, it mostly fails. I can see activity going to the USB boot stick, and sometimes it just continues for 3-4 minutes, then the server reboots. Sometimes it shows it writing some data creating and adding what I assume are partitions to the selected usb, like da0p1 added, da0p2 added, and it always gets one error, gmirror: invalid class name, followed by the same sequence of da0p1 & 2 added, and then active set on da0.

Most of the time it just hangs there, and eventually the server reboots. One time it displayed this when I selected OK for the da1 selection: random: unblocking device, followed by messages about waiting to stop some system processes.

I also periodically fail with this: dd: /dev/da1: operation not permitted. Once it actually looked like it would install, and got 2 dots part the 20.. sequence.

The system return no errors, the watchdog HW is disabled, and I've tried the boot media with 8, 16 and 32GB sizes, from PNY, Kingston, Toshiba and a rebrand from Micro Center, in ALL 5 USB ports with no change.

I verified that the USB ports work, and I can boot to an OS from all the ports. I honestly think that the BIOS settings have something to do with the issue, but I've been unable to resolve it. I've given up for today, and will try to install a different version, say 9.10 tomorrow.

Question: if I boot with the USB stick from my current FreeNAS box, will it cause any problems when I put the stick back into the old server?

crusader27529

Dabbler
Well, I can't find an image of 9.10 to try to instrall, and the boot USB from my other system crashes when it can't mount the vdev/array, and I don't want to select install from the submenu for fear of killing my config. I have it backed up, but I'd really prefer to have to learn how to recover it right now. I should be able to boot my old server if I really need to.

Does anyone know where I can download a 9.10 image???

Redcoat

MVP

G8One2

Patron
Use SuperMicro's IPMI viewer software, connect to the server through the IPMI there and mount virtual media. Do the install that way as UEFI is problematic with some of the SuperMicro boards.

crusader27529

Dabbler
Well, 9.10 installed just fine(a big Thank You!!!)......the only substantive difference (other that the obvious changes to what it loads and how it shows progress) is that 9.10 did NOT get this error:

gmirror: invalid class name

Otherwise the volume and partition creation was indentical.......I've no idea why it gets that, maybe it's forcing a mirror boot or something like that? Also, the 11.3 BETA failed the same way.

BTW, the server doesn't have the IPMI hardware installed.