Unable to build FreeNAS with make release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingedgar

Dabbler
The build completed successfully!!! My only remaining question, where does the build put the .iso file and the gui-upgrade file?

dkran

Dabbler
The build completed successfully!!! My only remaining question, where does the build put the .iso file and the gui-upgrade file?

Did you get the same error I put on pastebin with the virtualbox-ose-kmod or whatever?

J

jkh

I've disabled emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod for now - it's blowing up now for me too. This has historically been an unreliable port - sometimes it builds, sometimes it doesn't, and I've disabled it before (it's there at all because some folks like to try and run virtual box inside a jail).

J

jkh

Honestly, Jordan, accusing me of doing too much work is pretty over the top... :)

There were several documented instances of it stopping with some apparent failure within a "FreeBSD" subtree, so it probably wasn't too much of a stretch (obviously not for the OP either) to try installing FreeBSD src in there.

I haven't actually gotten a successful build with the new instructions either; apparently git has to be built with curl support or something or other so there's more dependencies to track down.

Maybe you should just try installing each of the dependencies as packages - I don't know what port options you all are setting, but I find my builds work with the stock defaults.

Kingedgar

Dabbler
Yes I did. What I ended up doing was removing the line in os-base that contained virtalbox-ose-kmod.

Kingedgar

Dabbler
Jordan, how do I checkout a different branch. Like 9.2.1.2 to build off of. My build completed but now I have error 13 permission denied from mDNSResponder and I am unable to reach the web GUI. It says no configurable interfaces found. I even reset to factory defaults.

EDIT: I even tried a fresh install from 9.2.2-ALPHA-x64.iso to no luck. Still errors with mDNSResponder and still says No configurable interfaces found. Try to do it manually.

I setup network, default route, and dns to no avail. I will go back to 9.2.1.2 tomorrow, but this is not my ideal situation. I really need some sources to build off of that will work when installed.

I also HAVE to build my own because I need 1 line removed from the kernel config; some samba variables set; and the logo changed. This is a critical build for me as I am setting this up for a client who is paying me to do so.

Any and all help is very much appreciated!!!

J

jkh

Jordan, how do I checkout a different branch. Like 9.2.1.2 to build off of. My build completed but now I have error 13 permission denied from mDNSResponder and I am unable to reach the web GUI. It says no configurable interfaces found. I even reset to factory defaults.

The master branch is usually in pretty good shape, though right now it's sadly a little broken in a couple of places (I do all the nightlies from it, but you've also probably noticed no 9.2.2-ALPHA nightlies for awhile; this is why. I'm working on the issue now).

However, in the meantime, you have two choices: You can git clone -b 9.2.1-BRANCH <usual-freenas-git-repository-url> to grab the branch we're building 9.2.1.x off of, which is what I'd suggest since some things post-9.2.1.2 have already been fixed there, or if you want exactly what shipped as 9.2.1.2, you can use the 9.2.1.2-RELEASE tag. See online git documentation for how to check out branches/tags. Pretty straight-forward.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Maybe you should just try installing each of the dependencies as packages - I don't know what port options you all are setting, but I find my builds work with the stock defaults.

Some of us don't get to spam our VM's with random packages, or, rather, we won't...

We have a FreeBSD install system here that actually has some substantial parallels to FreeNAS (I guess that's not shocking given my history with appliance-ified FreeBSD's) and among other things the VM deployment system locks down created VM's. Tools that aren't present at install time cannot be installed later. The VM system disk is always reproducible by booting from the latest FreeBSD iso (slightly modified to bootstrap our automated install environment) which covers a wide range of issues from network environment to IDS to securing the base platform.

So everything that a system needs in order to fulfill its purpose in life gets compartmentalized into an app dir, such as "/freenas-build", which is on a separate disk, and has a defined (rather simple) API for starting up the app, periodic run, stopping the app, etc. If it's exposed to the Internet it is almost certainly jailed. So for example git gets crammed in /freenas-build/bin/git and /freenas-build/bin gets added to the PATH, and there are actually scripts in /freenas-build/bin to do basic work with the system.

If you think about the number of times you've walked up to a random FreeBSD box and thought to yourself, "I wonder what's been done to this", or "what packages does this server depend on" while recreating a server, those questions don't usually pop up here. The VM installer system will be happy to show you how a VM's base OS is configured (and will happily pump out the latest image). The apps are self-evident because they're not spammed across all the base system filesystems (/var, /usr/local, etc). But it is admittedly a bit more work to track down specifics sometimes.

Kingedgar

Dabbler
Jordan,

Thank you for your input on checking out different branches. I successfully checked out 9.2.1-BRANCH.

I do, however, have a worry about the build. Upon starting "make release" I get the following which is suspicious to me.
Code:
+ env FREENAS_ARCH=i386 sh build/do_build.sh -z

Shouldn't this be FREENAS_ARCH=amd64? I do not want to build an i386 version.

EDIT: I realize now that it is building both amd64 and i386 versions. One of these days I will get the hang of building from sources.

Kingedgar

Dabbler
I fixed an issue with the megacli port this morning so at least 9.2.1-BRANCH should build without issue.

Thanks!

I noticed this but commented it out on my personal build since I don't use megacli. I also commented out the virutalbox-ose-kmod since I won't be using that either.

Thank you to all the dev's for all you do!!!

Kingedgar

Dabbler
Ok, so I successfully built from the 9.2.1-BRANCH. First thing I notice before the configuration screen is an mDNSResponder error scrolling really fast across the screen. Something about UDP and error 13 permission denied while trying to send a UDP packet.

Then, I get to the configuration screen and it says "No configured interfaces found. Try to do it manually".

I have configured the interface, default route, and dns. I have literally only changed 3 things in the config of the build. I removed a line in the kernel pertaining to IPFIREWALL DEFALUT_TO_ACCEPT, commented out megacli and virtualbox-ose-kmod.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I can install 9.2.1.2-RELEASE from your site just fine, but once I build my own it fails miserably.

I am building this as root on my buildbox, should I be using my own underprivileged user?

Any hints and help is appreciated!!!

Kingedgar

Dabbler
Building from 9.2.1.2-RELEASE tag I get the following errors...

Code:
mDNSResponder: mDNSPlatformSendUDP got error 13 (permission denied) sending packet to 224.0.0.251 on interface x.x.x.x/em0/1

and on the Console setup menu (after configuring network interfaces)

Code:
You may try the following URLs to access the web user interface:

No configured interfaces were found. Try to do it manually.

What in the world am I doing wrong here? I am building as root from a FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE install with only the required packages found in the README installed.

All I need is ONE line removed from the kernel config. This is about my fifth build so far and keep getting these same errors. What could be going wrong?

EDIT: When I go into shell the ping command returns with permission denied and nslookup fails with no server could be reached. So obviously this is a permissions problem. I followed the build instructions to a tee, and I have configured the necessary interfaces. Is there any further troubleshooting I could do?

EDIT2: I am building this from a virtualbox vm, could that be the trouble?

Kingedgar

Dabbler
Would it be better for me to file a bug/feature request to eliminate this line from the kernel config?

Code:
options    IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT

This rule basically lets any traffic through as it shows up last in the command
Code:
ipfw list
. Even if I have a deny rule before this rule, the firewall let's all traffic through no matter what and is not ideal.

dkran

Dabbler
Hey just FYI, I know it's just you posting but this thread will be saved for me and I really appreciate the commentary.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Kingedgar

Dabbler
Hey just FYI, I know it's just you posting but this thread will be saved for me and I really appreciate the commentary.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Thanks!!! I hope to shed some light for everyone. I was also kind of hoping the dev's would kick in some more of their infinite knowledge, but alas, no luck so far.

J

jkh

I think this thread has morphed a few times, which makes any one answer kind of difficult to formulate!

First, the issues with the broken ports in master has been fixed - [all of] you can go back to building FreeNAS as it comes stock on the master (trunk) branch. The 9.2.1-BRANCH also works - I have built both successfully in the last 24 hours. Second, removing IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT will certainly cause all of the problems noted. Don't do that! You're firewalling some key services from starting up and would have to add some very early firewall rules to FreeNAS to compensate for this, which I think is a lot more work (both to do and to explain) than simply not removing that option from the kernel.

Kingedgar

Dabbler
First off let me say a big Thank You for all that you do for FreeNAS and on the forums!!!

Second, on my NAS box with an image I have built, ipfw is off and I can find no process running.

Third, The kernel config file states that ipfw is for jails.
Code:
# ipfw and nat for jails
options        IPDIVERT
options        IPFIREWALL
options        IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options        IPFIREWALL_FORWARD
options        IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options        IPFIREWALL_NAT

Fourth, when I try to start the firewall it refuses saying this.
Code:
# service ipfw start
Will not 'start' because firewall_enable is NO

I will rebuild another image without that option set (I still like playing with this) and see what I get.

Also, FWIW, if this config line is the cause, I think I am up for the work of loading firewall rules early, although you have no obligation to explain it to me or anyone else.

I will not give up on this, because it is something I fundamentally believe in, and I will document my process along the way for other users who wish this.

Again Thank You for all of your help.

J

jkh

ipfw is not a process - it is a command-line tool for loading firewall rules into the kernel. It is also not a service. It is also not just for jails - it is for all networking. :)

If you really want to figure out ipfw, I suggest a separate course of study with Google's help and the FreeBSD documentation on ipfw. Some fairly fundamental misunderstandings about it above might be rectified by a bit more research, I think. Good luck!

Kingedgar

Dabbler
Jordan,

Thank you, apparantely I do have some learning to do. I am using the handbook and google simultaneously to learn all I can.

Thanks again for your help in this thread, and for what you do overall!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.