Unable to build 11.3-stable

sheepdot

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

I'm down to building the last couple of ports, and unfortunately there is a problem fetching:

I am aware that there was some change to the repos that made this location unusable, but I don't really know what to do about it. The logs say to "retrieve this port manually into /portdistfiles/ and try again," but my Googling is failing me and I can't find this specific file anywhere else. I'm not really sure what the next steps are at this point.

Any help is appreciated.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
As I do not use FreeNAS ot TrueNAS etc, I can only describe how things are on FreeBSD.

Sometimes due whatever odd reason the tarball for the port you're trying to build becomes unfetchable by way of the standard mechanism. The Makefile for the port or associated /usr/ports/Mk files describe where it will try to obtain the port tarball. It may be possible to attempt a wget with the same url, or an ftp "get" from a similar site. Either try the list of master sites in the Makefile, or do a web (there was an ftp search once upon a time too) for the tarball you need. This is the whatever.tar.gz or possibly some other extensions that describe the type of compression method used. It is always easiest to choose the same type of file rather than use a whatever.bz2 or .zip or some other.

The file you obtain will then need to be placed into /usr/ports/distfiles regardless of how you obtain it because this is where the ports build (make) process expects to find it. Once you have it, and the checksum matches, it willbe satisfied and the tarball will get extracted then the build/install will begin. The URL you give seems to indicate a github repo "GH" and a commit date of "Dec 13 2020" with hash "efe0d9f" so although 'distcache' is a FreeBSD site which attempts to fill-in by providing the tarball, you will probably find the same thing (or similar) from the github account for whatever port you are seeking to build.

Beyond that is guesswork for me, as I am not familiar with what this file you are trying to install/build except that it is firmware and KMS related. The tarball *might* only be hosted from a FreeBSD site but it doesn't seem so old as to be entirely unavailable by now. Also, seeing that it is KMS, there may be a more current version but to get that built (if it would be compatible and work for you) would be a bit more involved, including edit of the Makefile and hiding or recreating the distinfo file.

sheepdot

Dabbler
Thank you.
This sparked something that made me remember I had an archived VM from when I built a previous 11.3 release, so I was about to go into /usr/build/freenas/_BE/objs/ports/distfiles and find the exact file.

I admit I'm not savvy enough with git or github to figure out how to pull the right version since they have changed the name of the repo. I'd like to know how, but at least I'm building again for now.

Thanks again.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Thank you.
This sparked something that made me remember I had an archived VM from when I built a previous 11.3 release, so I was about to go into /usr/build/freenas/_BE/objs/ports/distfiles and find the exact file.

I admit I'm not savvy enough with git or github to figure out how to pull the right version since they have changed the name of the repo. I'd like to know how, but at least I'm building again for now.

Thanks again.
You're welcome!

Yes, those things can be tricky. I do not adore git, it is a tool, and for me it like a wrench which slips sometimes causing me to smash my knuckles. Obtaining a precise version of a tarball from a git[hub] repo is not something I have done for an older than current version or from a changed repo. If I were to attempt it, especially in your case as described, I would probably attempt to modify the Makefile to match those details, then remove/rename the distinfo file, and tell make to fetch.

--mild tangent--

I do maintain a few github repos for minetest-dev version of the game and the irrlichtMt which this bleeding edge version of the game uses. I periodically adjust the hash, the commit date, and re-create the distinfo file to match. It is not a very difficult process, it is a lot of wash-rinse-repeat for me now, until upstream makes any sort of major change, then possibly the pkg-plist will be adjusted, but that is a mostly automated task. At the very least it is there for me to use, I have had no feedback from others who might also use the content of those repos.

sheepdot

Dabbler
Yeah, I'm definitely reluctant to try to mix and match versions when building a complex, interconnected system like FreeNAS. I just don't know enough to make sure I haven't screwed something up royally.

Update: I was able to build the port that I couldn't fetch, but then the build failed when building freenas/freenas-webui. The error this time is

^[[96m.. /node_modules/@types/d3/index.d.tx^[[0m:^[[93m14 <snip> Module 'd3-array' has already exported member 'map'

No clue where to even start with that. I decided to use my old VM, snapshot it at the point where it was building my older version of 11.3 without a problem, and then do a make update. Currently making the release now... hopefully it will complete.

sheepdot

Dabbler
No joy... freenas-webui is still failing on the other VM as well. Anybody have any suggestions?

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I am not sure about your whole situation but if I had an extra HDD or two (or three), I would start fresh with a new install and work on figuring out how to transfer files/data from the old drives. If everything (files/data) could be easily replaced then I'd be even more quick to scrap the failed attempt and start over. I wish I could say more, I really do not know how the FreeNAS webgui or system is constructed or why you are in your pickle.

sheepdot

Dabbler
I'm not really sure what I'd be transferring over. I have a FreeBSD VM with an old 11.3 U3 install (which does build). Presumably that is because I made the VM and pulled all the files a year or so ago, when it was closer to current. I'd prefer not to upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3 (U3 I think, but it may be U2) (since U5 is available), so I tried using the same VM to pull 11.3-stable and build that. I'm not sure what I could copy from the old 11.3 version without breaking the new 11.3. Hard drive space is definitely not an issue.

Current attempt: I made a new VM on my FreeNAS box (because why not) with FreeBSD 11.3 and pulled the tag FN-11.3-U5 (instead of pulling the 11.3-stable branch I pulled before). I'm now trying to build that, but I don't predict much success.