Unable to access Freenas internal DVD drive in PHPVirtualBox VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrherms

Dabbler
Hey all.

So.... my ultimate goal was to be able to read any DVD/BluRay that i insert in my servers optical drive from within an ubuntu VM that is running on the virtualbox jail template....
But I have absolutely no idea where to start 0.o
Has anyone accomplished this? As there doesn't seem to be an option in phpvirtualbox to add host disc drive to VM like the desktop version.

Any help appreciated.

You would likely have to attach the drive as storage to the virtualbox jail and then provision it in virtualbox.

I am making the assumption that your plan is to extract the movies for your server. Likely end up with nothing but problems. Your best bet would be to use ESXI and virtualize both FreeNAS and Ubuntu and pass through the optical drive that way. I just use my desktop to process my DVD's and BluRay's since the network connection is more than fast enough to handle it and I can just have Handbrake do everything in one step. Then it's just a matter of transferring to the correct directory.

cbrherms

Dabbler
You would likely have to attach the drive as storage to the virtualbox jail and then provision it in virtualbox.

I am making the assumption that your plan is to extract the movies for your server. Likely end up with nothing but problems. Your best bet would be to use ESXI and virtualize both FreeNAS and Ubuntu and pass through the optical drive that way. I just use my desktop to process my DVD's and BluRay's since the network connection is more than fast enough to handle it and I can just have Handbrake do everything in one step. Then it's just a matter of transferring to the correct directory.
Apologies, should have replied.
Aye, it turned out the drive was bad anyway so picked up one for my desktop and ripping via that direct to a freenas share.
Have scripts set up to then process the ripped MKV, transcode it, then throw it in to my plex server. Working like a dream now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.