unable to access CIFS shares from Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brighter

Dabbler
Hi !

To authenticate, just use the FreeNAS user login and password, no prefix (nor domain, nor netbios nas name).

I solved the issue using blackbird to repair my Windows 10. The upgrade to 1803 had broken the SMB functionality. Please try every solution before using blackbird, it can be dangerous.
If you still have problem you can follow this tuto . Sorry, it is in french, but you can translate easily the services to start or everything else ...

Hope it helps ^^
Thanks @Piscenois for the link - took a while to go through the list. Enabling SMB v1 was actually one of the first things I did. Funnily, I had no issue with the Fall Creators (1709) connecting to SMB. Unfortunately, still stuck. Will post back here if I ever figure it out.

Piscenois

Dabbler
Hmm... Thanks - seems like the settings I have. Maybe I'll try creating a new Win10 VM to test.
I did this and it worked fine. Every one I met who did a fresh install (VM or not) had SMB working.
Did you try a repair ? You can do this while keeping configuration and installed programs.

Brighter

Dabbler
I did this and it worked fine. Every one I met who did a fresh install (VM or not) had SMB working.
Did you try a repair ? You can do this while keeping configuration and installed programs.
Seems to be the same issue I have across three machines with different configurations - only similarity is that they're all running 1803. Your settings sound to be very much the same as mine unfortunately. Changing the NTLMv1 flag doesn't seem to change anything.

Feels like an authentication issue since I'm able to see the SMB shares from Windows but unable to authenticate.

Brighter

Dabbler
According to get-SMBConnection, it's actually connecting at SMB 3.1.1, so at least that narrows the issues, just with the wrong credentials...

Piscenois

Dabbler
One idea : could you try to mount your SMB share from a Linux distribution (live ?) ? I think it would be easier to tune client parameters and find which is responsible of authentication failure under Windows.

Brighter

Dabbler
One idea : could you try to mount your SMB share from a Linux distribution (live ?) ? I think it would be easier to tune client parameters and find which is responsible of authentication failure under Windows.
I was able to mount it from a Mac, so I would imagine I should be able to from any UNIX distro.

Brighter

Dabbler
It's a fresh install, no mods on the windows side. I have the NTLMv1 Auth switched off on the FreeNAS side.
Do you know what version of SMB Windows is using to communicate with FreeNAS in your set up?

What does Get-SMBConnection from powershell show as the SMB version?

sretalla