unable to access CIFS shares from Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piscenois

Dabbler
Hi,

Until 3 or 4 month this has been worked.
But now, I can't access the CIFS shares anymore.

My windows version is : Windows 10 home version 1803.

It seems that W10 applied new security restrictions. I tried :
- to forbid guest users
- to force SMBv2 as minimal version (auxiliary parameter: service min protocol = SMB2)
- to force encryption (auxiliary parameter: smb encrypt = mandatory)
Nothing worked.
Could someone help me please ?

Gabe

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Which version of FreeNAS are you using? Many bugs and changes have been made since the service name was changed to SMB.

Piscenois

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm using FreeNAS 11.1-U5. I have tried with 11.2-BETA without success.

Gabe

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I can confirm with Windows 10 Pro 1803 I can most certainly access FreeNAS 11.1-U5 SMB shares. Nothing different for me in the past months.

Piscenois

Dabbler
Hmmmmm ... Do I need Windows 10 Pro ? SMB shares are most used in enterprises !

Redcoat

MVP
Hmmmmm ... Do I need Windows 10 Pro ? SMB shares are most used in enterprises !

I don't believe you do. Have you studied the info here?

I can believe that you cannot see your FreeNAS box in Windows Explorer when you browse. Can you see your shares when you try to access it by IP address?

Piscenois

Dabbler
Your link doesn't wok :'(

I have tried by IP, by netbios name, forcing credentials in windows identification manager, also to create a network connector with credentials...
In FreeNAS I tried to authorize/forbid guest account login, browsing, ntlmv1...
Nothing worked.

icsy7867

Contributor
Can you be more specific when you say "Can't access anymore"?

Do you get an error? Is it not connecting, or are you getting a permission denied?

Are you accessing this through explorer using \\serveraddress\Sharename? Or are you using a mapped network drive?

Piscenois

Dabbler
I use \\ip address\sharename.
I get this :
error code : 0x80004005

If I try to mount the shared from Linux, it works !

Piscenois

Dabbler
Here is my smb.conf file if it helps... :

Code:
[global]
		bind interfaces only = Yes
		dos charset = CP437
		interfaces = 127.0.0.1 [lan address]
		multicast dns register = No
		server string = FreeNAS Server
		workgroup = [my workgroup]
		lm announce = Yes
		nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
		logging = file
		max log size = 51200
		kernel change notify = No
		panic action = /usr/local/libexec/samba/samba-backtrace
		disable spoolss = Yes
		load printers = No
		printcap name = /dev/null
		server min protocol = SMB2
		map to guest = Bad User
		security = USER
		server role = standalone server
		deadtime = 15
		max open files = 467039
		dns proxy = No
		idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
		idmap config * : backend = tdb
		store dos attributes = Yes
		strict locking = No
		directory name cache size = 0
		dos filemode = Yes
		ea support = Yes
		create mask = 0666
		directory mask = 0777
		smb encrypt = required

[MyShare]
		path = "[share path]"
		browseable = No
		veto files = /.snapshot/.windows/.mac/.zfs/
		read only = No
		zfsacl:acesort = dontcare
		nfs4:chown = true
		nfs4:acedup = merge
		nfs4:mode = special

icsy7867

Contributor
This is most likely a permission issue. i googled that error and one of the hits I got back in reference to SMB was: STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

What user do you have permissioned for that particular share? Is the windows box on a domain?

Try going to This PC -> Map Network Drive and checking the "Connect using different credentials". Once you do this, try to authenticate with the freenas hostname as the domain/target. Instead of simply typing in the username and password try:

Folder: \\servername\DataShare
FreenasHostName\username
and password.

Obviously replacing the information here with the correct information. My guess is that you may have a similar local username on your windows PC and freenas and the SMB share is not being authenticated in the right place.

Piscenois

Dabbler
It was a good idea but it doesn't work :'(

I tried to activate SMBv1 in Windows, no success...
When I use the command line "net use" I have an error 53, path not found.

Brighter

Dabbler
I can confirm with Windows 10 Pro 1803 I can most certainly access FreeNAS 11.1-U5 SMB shares. Nothing different for me in the past months.

Out of curiousity, how do you set up your authentication for SMB on FreeNAS? Are you using AD to authenticate? I have mine set up to authenticate as local users on the freenas server itself, and I've had no issue in the past connecting using the servername\userid but it seems something in 1803 changed. Mine is also Win10 Pro 1803, so seeing your post gives me hope.

FWIW, I have no issue browsing the server, and I can actually see all the shares on my server, just that whenever I connect to the specific shares, I get create_connection_session_info failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED on my server.

Took me a while to figure that Windows was the culprit, and only managed to confirm it when I tried connecting to the same SMB share with a Mac.

P.S. enabling SMBv1 in Win10 doesn't solve the issue for Win 10 1803.

Brighter

Dabbler
This is most likely a permission issue. i googled that error and one of the hits I got back in reference to SMB was: STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

What user do you have permissioned for that particular share? Is the windows box on a domain?

Try going to This PC -> Map Network Drive and checking the "Connect using different credentials". Once you do this, try to authenticate with the freenas hostname as the domain/target. Instead of simply typing in the username and password try:

Folder: \\servername\DataShare
FreenasHostName\username
and password.

Obviously replacing the information here with the correct information. My guess is that you may have a similar local username on your windows PC and freenas and the SMB share is not being authenticated in the right place.

That is exactly the issue, only that the generic solution doesn't seem to work for 1803 (for me & @Piscenois at least, since @sretalla has no issues), since that is how I've been connecting and authenticating my SMB shares for the past few years.

sretalla