SOLVED UID GID for new users mysteriously jumped to 3000

zenon1823

Explorer
I went to add a new user to my system and noticed the UID for the new user was 3000. My previous users were 1001 through 1005 so i was expecting this user to be 1006. I went and manually changed the UID to 1006 but not thinking had the "create new primary group" checked so the group for the new user was created at 3000. I go to create another new user and its defaulting to 3000 again.

So this may be just cosmetic but the behaviour is unusual and a search hasn't pointed me in any useful direction. Anyone have any ideas or suspect if there might be a larger issue in the background?

HISTORY (that might be relevant)

System fresh build Nov 2022 on Scale22.02.4
Lots of regular config done - nothing that i would say is unique or outside normal operational config including users/groups 1000-1005
Upgraded to 22.12.0 Feb 2023
I realized I didnt capitalize the first letter of user 1002 so i edited that user. (broke SMB access - reset permissions recursively didnt fix. restart SMB didnt fix, reboot did)
1 SSD in boot mirror developed write issues and was faulted state. It was brought back into mirror on reboot - a couple days later it faulted again.

---
TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.0
Dell R210ii w/ Xeon E3-1220v2 & 12GB DDR3 ECC Udimm
Dell H200e (sas2008) flashed to IT Mode
Dell MD1200 Disk Chassis
2x 240GB ssd - mirrored boot pool (internal server sata controller)
4x 8TB Ironwolf - mirrored vdevs data pool (disk shelf)

Just SCALE being SCALE.

Accept your fate.

Embrace your assimilation.

3000 is the new 1000.

zenon1823

Explorer
Just SCALE being SCALE.

Accept your fate.

3000 is the new 1000.

Have you seen or heard of this happening? If its only cosmetic then thats fine so be it, but the fact that it changed for no reason has me curious why and if its indicative of some other issue such as possible data corruption due to the failing drive (as discussed in the other thread you replied to).

Does anyone know where does linux store the counter for UID AND GID? is it something that can be easily modified if its an index file maybe it will have an modified time that might allow me to cross reference what else happened around that time?

danb35

Hall of Famer
To be a little less enigmatic, this is a change between SCALE 22.02 and 22.12; the latter starting the UID/GID numbers at 3000. I recall that the reason had something to do with user IDs used in some of the apps.

zenon1823

Explorer
To be a little less enigmatic, this is a change between SCALE 22.02 and 22.12; the latter starting the UID/GID numbers at 3000. I recall that the reason had something to do with user IDs used in some of the apps.
LOL now @winnielinnie your comment makes so much more sense :grin:.
Thanks for clarifying @danb35
Marked as solved hopefully this helps someone else.

PS unless I missed it I don't see this noted in the 22.12.0 release notes :confused:.

Whattteva

Wizard
Just SCALE being SCALE.

Accept your fate.

Certainly not the first nor the last time Linux pulls the rug right under your feet just when you think you've finally learned it all.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Certainly not the first nor the last time Linux pulls the rug right under your feet just when you think you've finally learned it all.
Don't blame this on Linux; this is 100% on the iX devs.

Whattteva

Wizard
Ah yes I know, I'm more making a comparison that Linux often pushes breaking changes like this (often very buggy) throughout its history. Pulseaudio, systemd, Gnome 3 just to name a few, but the list is way more extensive than that.

zenon1823

Explorer
When my googlefu turned up nothing as did searches on here, serverfault, superuser, stack overflow etc my spidey senses told me it was a fringe case. But when there was nothing in the release notes I started to get nervous about what was at play

Inxsible

Guru
How does this work with the uid/gid being 1000 in the client systems? With my core install, both my client and NFS server uid/gid were 1000 and it worked seamlessly when editing files on the NAS.

But with Scale, it requires using sudo --- unless you create a new user on the client system with uid/gid of 3000. On Scale even when I chose the uid as 1000, the gid was still 3000