Ubuntu VM Recovering Journal

Zain

Contributor
Greetings.

I rebooted my server today without first turning off my VMs like I normally do. I wasn't sure if that was something I had to do but figured it was good practice - seems I might have been right. Now, when I go to boot up my Ubuntu VM, I am prompted with the screen below and am unsure how I can fix it.

How can I fix this? TIA!

1636578361579.png

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Snapshots are your friend....rollback to a known good version.
These failures can happen if the VM's file system is not robust. What were you using?

Zain

Contributor
I don't recall which file system I selected when performing the install. I believe I left it to the recommended/default, whatever that was.

I had to boot into the Live CD and then copy over the files I needed. I will be reinstalling Ubuntu shortly, which file system is recommended for the VM?

I will also be utilizing the snapshot function for these going forward...

Thanks.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Regular snapshots implemented by TrueNAS. An expert recommended EXT4 for the guest file system. Anyone else have a counter recommendation?

"Ext4 is the general answer inside a guest because it's the optimal combination of fastest-performance-inside-any-caching, lightweight, and yet at least has journalling on to give you basic protection against crashy things happening above and beyond doing host-level rollbacks to "sometime before everything went tits-up"."

Zain

Contributor
Thanks.

EXT4 is what it would have been already. I'll just be a little more careful in the future, turning off my VMs manually before shutting down or restarting the server.