U3 Praise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ere109

Contributor
While many users have been affected by the smb password issue, I want to highlight the SMB triumph of 11.1-U3. My system has 128GB of memory, and the old SMB memory bug was constantly using up 120GB. Since installing this new update, which was largely designed to address that gaping issue, my system is sitting at 21GB in use, and 107GB free. That's HUGE, and opens the door for additional tasks. Thank you.
Who else has GOOD things to say to the developers about U3?

m0nkey_

MVP
While many users have been affected by the smb password issue
An issue that should not exist. See bug ticket: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/30480
the old SMB memory bug was constantly using up 120GB
Good to know that a memory bug has been squashed.
Who else has GOOD things to say to the developers about U3?
This is a tough one. The current and previous 11.1 releases have had show stopping bugs (at least from a production perspective, and breaking SMB authentication is a big show stopper). It's a wonder how it got through QA. Hopefully we'll see better releases in the future.

(Sorry, it's tough being positive when so many releases have been broken in some way)

felthamn

Dabbler
I have to agree with the previous posts on this, The last couple of releases have had fairly big issues that should have been resolved before release. Again I am seeing the scenario playing out. I would have thought that lessons would have been learnt from previous releases.

It not acceptable to release an upgrade that effectively breaks loyal users setups. My advice to people (and I make no apology for saying this) Is not to update to U3 at this time until this issue is resolved which means pull U3 from the download servers. I make it a general policy not to update immediately because of this very scenario. I'm also holding off as I would like to see what the impact on my system will be with the Spectre mitigation patching as well.

On a positive note and it is important to finish on a positive, FreeNAS is a brilliant platform for building a home server on, and I have recommended it to many colleagues at work and friends who have also started using the platform. But, and this is for the developers Please........ less haste to get an update out and a little bit more care with the testing, let us see fewer situations like this and make FreeNAS the best it can be.

Chuck Remes

Contributor
When 11.1-U3 was scheduled to come out, I made the decision to finally upgrade from 10.03 Corral. I had to do a fresh install anyway, so the SMB issue wasn't anything that worried me (I had never installed 9.x so a rollback and then upgrade to 11.x wasn't an option).

I am now happily running 11.1-U3. It took about 3 hours to get my plex, sabnzbd, sonarr, and radarr jails configured the way I wanted them. Plex now runs *significantly faster* than it did under docker in Corral.

I have run into several bugs in the new beta GUI (all were already reported). It's still a bit of a mess, but it has good "bones" so I am cautiously optimistic.

Overall, I'm really happy with the move to 11.1. Thank you, ixSystems!

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I wrote a post on this earlier, which apparently never posted. The short version is: the QA department does a significant amount of testing. They work very hard and test everything they can, have significantly expanded their testing infrastructure, and continue to do so. At the same time, each release contains fixes that people need immediately. Also at the same time, the number of combinations of software configurations and options expands factorially, always increasing. This gets even more complicated when new urgent fixes for popular software like Samba appears just before we are about to release. That resets the clock, and everything starts over.

We do publish nightly builds, specifically so people can test before putting it in production. We also encourage bug reports, and ask people to help us help them by testing and reporting problems.

m0nkey_

MVP
The latest issue wasn't even a bug in Samba. It was a bug in the middleware (TrueNAS leakage) which prevented SMB users from authenticating. Running an upgrade from U2 to U3 and testing SMB authentication during QA should in theory pick this up.

Are you able to comment what exactly is tested for a release?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

A publicly available document listing the tests applied is a candidate for the We Want to Hear Your Ideas thread. Unfortunately I didn't follow this thread and it's not easy to see for me if such a suggestion already has been made.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Not specifically, although I know the testing grows continually. The QA department might be able to comment on that. I've sent them a note.

Status
Not open for further replies.