Two seperate NAS Server's

Status
Not open for further replies.

doofus

Cadet
Having two separate nas server's is there a way to sync all the data from one nas to the other? So I could consider the second nas server server a backup.

peterh

Patron
You have at least two options ( for freenas)
1/ use zfs send/receive
2/ use rsync
both scheduled via cron

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
If using rsync over ssh. Uou want to setup password keys one each server so that the one that initiates the rsync command has ssh access to a user on the other box. The key to doing this right is pemissions, but once you got i down it's not bad. Then once you got that just create an rsync command.

BikerScott

Cadet
Hi, I am using rsync to replicate between to FreeNAS 8 servers. From what I can tell, only 1 rsync task can run at a time. Is this correct? Is there a way to have concurrent tasks running? I have 3 LUNs that I want to sync to a remote server. Thanks

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Who said 1 rsync task at a time? That is preferable as they can mess with each others workflows but I believe you can run as many rsync tasks as you want.

BikerScott

Cadet
Thanks Joshua. I am only going off what I observed on my rsync schedules and it appeared that only 1 could run. I will have a further look now I have your confirmation. Cheers, Scott

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
ahh, I see. It's something with freenas, not an rsync specific thing. Either way though, plan out your rsync so you don't have conflicts (pushing and pulling at the same time), pushing to several other locations should be fine.

logan54

Explorer
That could be the reason,
I've startet two rsync task to the same destination host at the same time. Just one rsync is visible in the process list. Now I start the rsync-tasks time shifted and it will work.

regards,
logan54

BikerScott

Cadet
Thanks guys, I actually have my 3 rsync tasks set as "pull" jobs, all starting at staggered times, but because there is such a large amount of data to move, the first job is still running when the second tries to start, and therefore the second and third just don't start (I can see this because the data on the destination doesn't change). I had the same issue when I orginally had them set as "push" jobs. Seems to be a limitation (bug?????) in FreeNAS, which is most annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.