Two Questions - ZFS Logical Sector Size & Currently Unreadable (Pending) Sectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevorX

Explorer
Solved - all errors cleared.

I pulled one of those drives out and ran it next to the NAS with a 120mm fan lying on top of it, and it did indeed keep temps under 40°C. But with the drives stacked in the hotswap enclosures they are heat-soaking each other. I even pulled the whole caddy out and ran it separately and it didn't make any appreciable difference to temps - the fans just aren't pulling enough air through.

So it looks like I may have to do a complete redesign at some point, but I don't have the money for a new enclosure. Those caddys were several hundred dollars between them. What I'm thinking at this point is upping the speed of the exhaust fan in the top and sealing off all other ventilation, forcing negative case pressure to suck more air through the HDD caddys. I can't control the fan in the PSU unfortunately. I'm going to replace the Noctua exhaust fan with a Gentle Typhoon and see how that goes...

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions, very much appreciated :smile:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, I just saw your build thread. I would have warned that you might not get enough cooling.

You might be able to buy a high flow rate Supermicro fan on ebay for cheap, then throw that in your case and get enough flow. :P

Just an idea.

TrevorX

Explorer
Yeah I have a bunch of fans here of various ratings, plenty of high-flow ones pulled out of servers (never used) but the issue is I need to balance against noise as the NAS is in the house. The UPS is in the garage due to the fan, but if I moved the NAS out there it would have to deal with 45-50°C temps at times (we had several 44°C days this summer, the garage gets even hotter). The only good solution I can come up with is a custom insulated cabinet with a dedicated air conditioning unit pumping cool air into it. Might do that once we go solar and I have a spare few k to throw at it, but this will have to do for now. The Gentle Typhoon cost me over AUD$40 including shipping because there are none stocked in the country :-o

Status
Not open for further replies.