(Tutorial) How To Install Plex in a FreeNAS 11.2 Jail

astronot

Cadet
I installed the plexpass port via this guide. When I use portupgrade -a, it upgrades a lot of ports, but not plex. If I do portversion, it lists the ports, but plex is missing from the list.

If I do pkg_version -v | grep need, it shows plex and indicates it needs an update.

I did portinstall, and it updated the port, but pkg_version -v | grep need still shows it needs an update and portversion still doesn't list it.

Any ideas why? Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's because you are doing it all wrong.

1. There is no plexpass version from Ports. So whatever you did I don't know.

2. Ports will maintain whatever is in the ports tree. The PlexPass version of Plex isn't in the ports tree.. so naturally it won't be updated from Ports nor will it show up on a list.

3. If you installed the Ports version AND the PlexPass version, you overwrote whichever one you installed first. So now your jail is all fubarred and you'll need to un-f*ck it to straighten things out.

In short, you've confused the hell out of the systems to install software. There's 3 basic ways to install software:

1. Ports
2. Pkg-ng(and the old pkg system which you shouldn't be using anymore anyway)
3. Manually.

If you installed Plex in your jail from more than 1 of those at any point without uninstalling the old version, you're going to have a messed up jail(which is what it sounds like).

If you are going to do #3(which is the only option with the PlexPass version) then you need to handle all management of upgrades manually. That means no pkg-ng(or pkg), no ports... manually.

Cosmo_Kramer

Contributor

2. Ports will maintain whatever is in the ports tree. The PlexPass version of Plex isn't in the ports tree.. so naturally it won't be updated from Ports nor will it show up on a list.

3. If you installed the Ports version AND the PlexPass version, you overwrote whichever one you installed first. So now your jail is all fubarred and you'll need to un-f*ck it to straighten things out.

In short, you've confused the hell out of the systems to install software. There's 3 basic ways to install software:

1. Ports
2. Pkg-ng(and the old pkg system which you shouldn't be using anymore anyway)
3. Manually.

If you installed Plex in your jail from more than 1 of those at any point without uninstalling the old version, you're going to have a messed up jail(which is what it sounds like).

If you are going to do #3(which is the only option with the PlexPass version) then you need to handle all management of upgrades manually. That means no pkg-ng(or pkg), no ports... manually.

There is actually a separate port for the Plex Pass version:
http://www.freshports.org/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass/

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

Sir,

Perhaps you care to explain this:
Code:
root@jail1:/usr/ports/multimedia # ll | grep plex
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel      6 Feb 22 14:30 mplex/
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel      7 Apr  7 11:08 plexmediaserver/
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel      7 Apr 16 19:32 plexmediaserver-plexpass/
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel      6 Feb 22 14:30 replex/
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel      6 Feb 22 14:30 tcmplex-panteltje/
root@jail1:/usr/ports/multimedia #

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
LOL. Simultaneously!

krikboh

Patron
Just upgraded to 0.9.9.11 with portupgrade. Worked perfectly!

diedrichg

Wizard

krikboh

Patron
There are instructions for upgrading with portupgrade at the bottom of the first post in this thread.

diedrichg

Wizard
Oh! I have not heard of that. Will it work with our other plugins as long as they are on freshports?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh! I have not heard of that. Will it work with our other plugins as long as they are on freshports?

Assuming you installed them from ports, yes. More than likely your other plugins came from pkg-ng though. ;)

panz

Guru
The pkg-ng described in the manual didn't work for me (it started complaining about something that's missing... Can't remember what). The "standard" (pre pkg-ng) worked fine.

Rand

Guru
Just installed it according to this guide yesterday, but for some reason i cant see PMS in the webgui, only web & devices.
PMS is running though when i check top? No errors during install or in messages either ... very weird.
Trying to upgrade now but i dont think that will help...
Edit: Nope.
Btw, if i manually call /manage then i get a message that PMS is not installed yet...

Edit2: Reinstalled Plex in a fresh jail, got "Plex media Server - This media server is unavailable to you" - I missed that the first time round b/c I didnt have a Plex account yet and thought that was it...

Found the fix here:
http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/plex-media-freenas-9-1-1.15676/

Basically run
vi "/usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Preferences.xml"
and add disableRemoteSecurity="1" before />

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Just upgraded to 0.9.9.11 with portupgrade. Worked perfectly!
I came here because i couldn't upgrade correctly. My system thinks the 0.9.9.10 release is the most current and it won't upgrade to latest. I used the guide from this thread maybe a month ago to do the initial install of plexmediaserver-plexpass. I must be missing something, I've done the fetch then upgrade. Is there a way to dig a little deeper into repos, versions or something else that might be helpful?

UPDATE:
I got it working through a series of portsnap fetch extract, portsnap update and portupdate -a. So it works just not the way I was expecting it. There is still a little magic around the solution.

MunkaySteve

Dabbler
Fantastic, thank you!!!

I registered as a user to resolve an issue where running the upgrade of the Plex Plugin via the GUI broke plex. Couldn't find anything about this, so wanted to register to post a thread.

Whilst waiting for my registration to be approved, I did further searching and stumbled across this post. Which I followed and worked wonderfully.

I have had some past experience with NetBSD, so the ports system in use here was recognisable against the NetBSD pkgsrc system (and I'd heard of the ports system before anyway), so was pretty comfortable with the instructions given (even if I couldn't remember them to save my life!!!)

Anyway, back to the point, my Plex mediaserver is back up and running, and seems to be performing better than previously.

Thanks again,

MunkaySteve

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

MunkaySteve

Dabbler
Haha! I actually used to have 5 machines in my bedroom when I lived with my parents all running NetBSD. Had all kinds of stuff running. That was back when I had no life and was on the computer at all hours....

I guess I'd better go to bed now then!! :)

ZFS Fan

Cadet
So...This is my next project. Is there something wrong with just installing the plugin from the Web GUI plugins?? DO I miss out on anything or it that version unreliable?

Thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So...This is my next project. Is there something wrong with just installing the plugin from the Web GUI plugins?? DO I miss out on anything or it that version unreliable?

Thanks
You won't have access to the plex-pass version of the server and you can't update the server until someone publishes the new plugin. Also updates can take 6+ hours using the plugin. With manual install you can install plex-pass version, update pretty much when it comes out and updates take seconds.