Turning on AD recreates Machine Account (leave/join cycle)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chucktryon

Dabbler
I'm having a problem when trying to start AD. For some reason, this is particularly true when I upgrade.

I am currently testing the 8.3.1 RC1 release, though I have had this issue for several releases (at least 8.3.0).

The PROBLEM is that, when you turn on AD, the underlying scripts try to leave the domain, and then re-join the domain. This has the effect of deleting the Machine Account on the Domain Controller, and then trying to re add it.

In most situations, this isn't a big deal, as long as you have an appropriate Administrator account in the AD settings dialogue. HOWEVER, in our case, we are one office in a large, multinational organization. The administrators in our office (myself included) do not have full "Domain Administrator" access to the domain. For security reasons, we are given access to our particular OU. If we just try to add a machine to our international domain, AD will attempt to create the machine account in the "default" location, and FAIL. The way we get around this is to "pre-stage" the machine account, manually creating it inside of our OU. When the machine tries to add itself to the domain, the DC finds the existing machine account, and just updates that record... and everyone is happy!

Unfortunately, the underlying scripts in FreeNAS try to leave the domain, and then re-join. This deletes the existing machine account and then re-adds it. In our case, this fails due to insufficient permissions.

To me, the solution appears to not try to leave the domain when you are just trying to turn AD on, especially if the winbind process is already running, but rather just try to join. Only in the case where the machine can't join the domain (ie., there is something wrong with the machine account, or there is some other config issue) should it try to clean out the old account.

Alternatively, we could suggest some AD setting to our international Domain Administrators to change the "default" OU where machine accounts are created for each office. I'm no AD guru, but I think they would be open if presented with a consistent way to do this.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I get what you are trying to say. Have you tried editing the scripts to have it just join the domain? If you did, did that fix the problem? If so, can you post what you changed so I can submit a ticket?

chucktryon

Dabbler
I get what you are trying to say. Have you tried editing the scripts to have it just join the domain? If you did, did that fix the problem? If so, can you post what you changed so I can submit a ticket?

Interesting... I just downloaded the real 8.3.1 release and updated one of my systems. When I did the update, and rebooted the system for the first time, the system came up with the AD service turned off, but I was able to simply click it "ON", and it appeared to work correctly. I'm not sure if you changed anything in particular in that aspect, but it appears to be working now.

I will continue to do some testing. There is still some problem during the install, and perhaps during the boot process, but it's a lot better than before.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I personally didn't change anything. I really wish I had some programming experience that I could put to use with FreeNAS, but I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.