Trying to recover deleted Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruic

Cadet
Hi!
I've tried everything that I saw in this forum already....
Someone here deleted a Volume on out local Freenas. Then he proceeded to create another volume with the same name! (don't know what he was thinking)...

This particular volume has no snapshots.... and no backup...
the "zpool import -D" comand returns nothing.

is there any hope?

Thank you!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
There is no hope.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Someone here deleted a Volume on out local Freenas. Then he proceeded to create another volume with the same name! (don't know what he was thinking)...
That is why root access must be tightly controlled.
You can absolutely destroy the system as root and the system will just do what it is told because you are root.

kdragon75

Wizard
That is why root access must be tightly controlled.
You can absolutely destroy the system as root and the system will just do what it is told because you are root.
Yeah FreeNAS could benefit from user permissions. Ie user a can only create pools not delete them.
It's a big ask but it would be darn nice in larger environments where storage tasks may be delegated.

Arwen

MVP
Yeah FreeNAS could benefit from user permissions. Ie user a can only create pools not delete them.
It's a big ask but it would be darn nice in larger environments where storage tasks may be delegated.
Uh, there ARE such things. See the manual pages. That said, ZFS may not have as much delegation as you desire. But more is being added all the time.

I vaguely saw a ZFS on Linux change for allowing more delegated permissions, like "destroy". Meaning a user may be able to then destroy his own snapshots, (of ZFS datasets HE/SHE owns and has delegated powers to do so).

These changes sometimes start on one of the 3 major OpenZFS platforms, Ilumos, FreeBSD or Linux. Whence it's working well, someone will create a pull request to get it on the others.

garm

Wizard
Allan Jude has a talk on YouTube showing among other things how to give zfs privileges to restricted users https://youtu.be/qXOZmDoy2Co around the 12 minute mark. The whole video is worth looking at though.

kdragon75

Wizard
Uh, there ARE such things. See the manual pages. That said, ZFS may not have as much delegation as you desire. But more is being added all the time.

I vaguely saw a ZFS on Linux change for allowing more delegated permissions, like "destroy". Meaning a user may be able to then destroy his own snapshots, (of ZFS datasets HE/SHE owns and has delegated powers to do so).

These changes sometimes start on one of the 3 major OpenZFS platforms, Ilumos, FreeBSD or Linux. Whence it's working well, someone will create a pull request to get it on the others.
I know ZFS supports this but FreeNAS as a web managed storage server does not.

Arwen

MVP
I know ZFS supports this but FreeNAS as a web managed storage server does not.
Ah, now I understand.

Yes, sometimes I wish some computer appliances supported limited function users. Root user would specify what each limited function user was able to do, like shutdown or reboot. Basically a list with check boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.