Trying to re-use a disk and not having luck

markw7811

Cadet
I did a replication to an extra disk as a backup, but I only did 1 dataset, I can't seem to replicate other datasets to it, so I assume it's a pool to pool thing or something... so I went to start over.

I tried to delete the dataset but it wouldn't do anything, so I removed the whole volume. I can't re-add the disk or wipe it due to the known issue... so I found the thread here and went to run the commands, but the last dd is not working.

Code:
[root@nas ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da3 bs=1m count=1                                                                             
1+0 records in                                                                                                                     
1+0 records out                                                                                                                     
1048576 bytes transferred in 0.007951 secs (131874373 bytes/sec)                                                                   
[root@nas ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da3 bs=1m oseek=`diskinfo da3 | awk '{print int($3 / (1024/1024)) - 4;}'`                     
dd: /dev/da3: Input/output error                                                                                                   
1+0 records in                                                                                                                     
0+0 records out                                                                                                                     
0 bytes transferred in 0.000476 secs (0 bytes/sec)                                                                                 
[root@nas ~]# dmesg | grep da3                                                                                                     
GEOM: da3: the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.                                                                             
GEOM: da3: using the secondary instead -- recovery strongly advised.                                                               
isci: 1628416236:600315 ISCI isci: bus=21 target=1 lun=0 cdb[0]=da3979f0 terminated                                                 
GEOM_MIRROR: Cannot open consumer da3p1 (error=1).                                                                                 

One of my 2 new disks that I moved everything to is flapping off/on and causing non-stop reslivering only to go offline and come back a few minutes later. I'm nervous to power down right now without a good backup, so I'm trying to get a snapshot and replication going to this other disk before I reboot, but having problems re-adding it.

What can I do to get past this so I can make this disk a fresh volume to replicate to?

Thanks

markw7811

Cadet
Well that's not good, I decided to add another disk back in, and dmesg shows it came online, but da4 never showed up in the GUI, now the last thing dmesg says is something about sending a reset to the controller 0 index 2 or something, but now nothing works, everything in the GUI just says "loading...". I tried to run gpart show on the console and it's just hanging too. apparently I should not have tried to connect another disk while the system was running, since the other disk keeps flapping on and off I thought it would be safe to do.

So at this point I can't seem to do anything at all in the GUI or shell. I can't pull up the GUI in a new tab at all either. Debating on pulling this disk I just tried to add back out... Really trying to avoid a hard power off at this point, all this to avoid shutting down the system while it was reslivering the original pair until I had a backup, maybe I should have just done it

markw7811

Cadet
That was stressful, I need to get a backup asap, that is clear...

The system was completely hung, would not even shutdown after getting a shutdown signal. I ended up hard booting the VM and thankfully the pool and datasets are still there and things seem OK.

Still interested to know how to fix my original problem so I can re-use that disk, for now I've put in an alternative disk to run a replication backup.

markw7811

Cadet
sigh lol... so I found out I have 2 more bad disks trying to find another to use for backup, I ended up putting the original backup that I replicated to and had the issue that started this tread back in. This time it failed to mount and said there was an error with the volume (even though I had deleted the volume before, it somehow came back, I assume that data at the end of the disk I was trying to remove...)... so I deleted it again, and suddenly I was able to wipe the disk, then I was able to re-use it without a problem.

Now to configure some backups to it, then configure some backups to backblaze!