Trying to narrow down power supply (I think) issue.

puppabriggy

Dabbler
I picked an off the wall project. I'm running a DIY NAS setup based on 12vdc power. I initially started experiencing IO errors (see post below). After swapping out everything, case, cables, MD, power supplies I realized the IO errors could be power related and were triggered during high CPU usage. Once I figured out hardware transcoding (plex) the problem more or less resolved.

Right now the system works without issue when on batter( this is a solar setup), but once the batteries run low I switch to an AC - DC 12 supply that is suppose to be rated at 600W. When I use the AC-DC supply the I/O errors come back. Now it is possible amazon is lying about the power supply rating (note the power supply is behind a regulator). I'm just looking or ideas I may have missed

12 AC-DC

250W Power Supply

Regulator

I/O Errors

WN1X

Explorer
The reviews for that Letour power supply indicate it is not very well regulated and will spew all kind of noise onto the 12 volt output. This could be causing your NAS to generate those CRC errors or worst.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
To rephrase what @WN1X wrote, the power of the inverter is probably less of an issue than the quality of its output. The components you referenced might very well be not suitable for a computer.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
To rephrase what @WN1X wrote, the power of the inverter is probably less of an issue than the quality of its output. The components you referenced might very well be not suitable for a computer.

The pico supply is not going to be designed for the abuse of 3x HDD's in addition to a relatively hefty mainboard. It certainly lacks the smoothing caps and circuitry to cope with a noisy 12V supply. This should be easy to test if you have a solar setup in that a direct connection to a 12V battery will probably work approximately correctly, which, upon reviewing your original message again, it appears you've already figured out.

puppabriggy

Dabbler
I appreciate the feedback. My plan is to setup the NAS on a small Solar setup. When on battery there are no issued but the plan is to setup a AC backup which will switch when my battery voltage goes low. It sounds like I just need to spend some cash and find a good 12V AC to DC converter. This has been a fun project, thought it would be easier than I thought. So much for cheap amazon equipment. Feel free to recommend any ideas. I dont have an acilloscope so I'm unable to test the quality of power.