Trying to make a comprehensive HDD burn-in

rcaron

Cadet
I've recently started using fio (in addition to SMART, badblocks/nwipe, and diskinfo) to do a better job screening hard drives before adding them to a pool. In the past, disks without the 24hr fio would pass everything, yet they will still start throwing errors and sometimes even get kicked hours/days after being added to a pool. I kept those disks around out of curiousity, but even those disks pass fio - no threads crash and there's no change in SMART wear parameters afterwards. so I feel like this burn-in is still lacking. What else can I add?

I've based my process on
https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/gettingstarted/corehardwareguide/ and
https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/how-do-you-burn-in-new-disks.67774/
specifically:
  1. SMART extended to compare against ( smartctl -a /dev/adaX > adaX_1baseline.txt )
    • - reject condition: any non-zero pending or uncorrectable sectors
    • (unless I'm interested in whether any of the subsequent writing helps 'heal' the drive with sector reallocation)
  2. 24hr of random small FIO to also stress the drive ( fio --name=randrw --time_based --runtime=86400 --iodepth=64 --rw=randrw --bs=512 --direct=1 --numjobs=4 --filename=/dev/adaX )
    • - reject condition: if any threads die
  3. another SMART extended ( smartctl -a /dev/adaX > adaX_3post_fio.txt )
    • - this only takes a few minutes for such small SSDs
    • - reject condition: any wear parameters increase
  4. write latency consistency (diskinfo -wS)
    • - reject condition: unclear. informational.
  5. badblocks to look for bad regions ( time badblocks -b 4096 -c 16384 -p 1 -svw /dev/adaX )
    • - timing it also gives a feel of net R&W sequential performance
    • - reject condition: if any bad blocks are detected
    • - nice for b parameter to equal physical sector size (512 bytes in this case)
    • - b parameter X c parameter should roughly match drive cache side to maximize speed/stress. (for HDDs I use -b 4096 -c 16384 for 64MiB)
  6. one final SMART extended ( smartctl -a /dev/ada0 > ada0_6final.txt )
    • - reject condition: if any wear parameters increase
After re-reading the above threads the only omission is the thermal cycling. But the burn-in is really under the same operating temperatures (37-43C) as the pools they failed in. Should I deliberately let the drives get hotter during burn-in? How hot?

sretalla