SOLVED Trying to fix a semi-bungled hardware upgrade on 11.1-U1

Tyrith

Dabbler
A friend of mine dropped me some bigger drives he had kicking around and being excited and a bit of a lunk -- I copied what my last failed drive did to me to upgrade.

I wind up pulling an old drive, popping in the new one and then proceed to hunt around for however I managed to resilver. Between all the pool GUI references referred to in the latest GUI documentation that isn't in FreeNAS & importing the new drive, I think I missed something and may have totally botched this.

The good: The old drive is still fine and on my desk. Everything loads up. The volume main state is degraded but sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning.

The bad: I think I've gotten the new drive to load up in the pool, but it's been sitting for over 24 hours now with no sign of resilvering. Zpool status wants me to attach the old drive as a 6th, which isn't possible because the hardware is capped at 5.

Included a zpool status .. Any advice on the command to force a resilver? For all I know it's already doing this, it just doesn't show it anywhere. For the other 3-4 drives I have, I'm assuming offlineing the drive before replacement is probably the better way to do this right .. or even upgrading to a TrueNAS version and doing it there :grin:?

Attachments

• freenasstuck.jpg
    freenasstuck.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
it's been sitting for over 24 hours now with no sign of resilvering.
That's because you've added it to the pool as an additional disk, and blown through a pretty prominent warning in the UI in the process. Your entire pool is now dependent on that one disk, and when it fails your entire pool will fail. Your only option is to destroy the pool and recreate it.

Tyrith

Dabbler
:rolleyes: I'd welcome a screenshot of that warning screen in 11.1, because I didn't see anything that caught my eye. From what I read after I figured out what I'd done last night, it turns out I'm far from the first to have done this.

I wound up finding a way to getting all 6 drives connected. I don't suppose there's an easy way to shrink & kick the previously empty 6th drive when all 6 drives are connected now?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'd welcome a screenshot of that warning screen in 11.1
Ask and you shall receive--this is from 11.1-U2; I didn't have the ISO for -U1 downloaded:
1659291262074.png

Or, if you were using the new (beta) UI, this:
1659291376204.png

I don't suppose there's an easy way to shrink & kick the previously empty 6th drive when all 6 drives are connected now?
Unfortunately, no. As I wrote above,
Your only option is to destroy the pool and recreate it.

Tyrith

Dabbler
:confused: That's definitely what I saw, but I guess adding a drive to an already degraded pool with an offline drive would've warranted a bigger warning :grin:

Given I wound up with drives 2x the space +1 extra one, this isn't a major issue but .. disappointing. I did not have an issue on earlier versions (8-9?) and the newer TrueNAS versions seem more clear. Guess I'll be more careful next time. Thanks!

danb35

Hall of Famer
The software's gotten more insistent on the subject in the 5+ years since your version was released. But as it is, you have to click into the "Manual Setup" screen to actually do what you did--somewhere along the way, I think the devs expected the question would occur to you that "wait, I shouldn't be adding a vdev to my pool, should I?"