FreeNAS 11.1 Swap concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angersec

Cadet
With the new swap setup for 11.1, I have started receiving a lot of swap errors. With the swap partitions now mirrored, I am now using only half of the swap i used before. (6 drive raiz2 pool with 2GB swap partitions) Would it be feasible to edit the System>Advanced swap setting to increase the value (say from 2 to 4 or higher), and systematically wipe and replace each disk?

Would the wipe feature repartition the disk and resilver it?

Cheers!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why do you want more swap? Swap is a necessary evil, not something to maximize.

So, the question is, what errors are you getting? How much RAM do you have and what is workload?

Angersec

Cadet
Why do you want more swap? Swap is a necessary evil, not something to maximize.

So, the question is, what errors are you getting? How much RAM do you have and what is workload?

Thanks for replying. I may have spoken too soon without really checking things out. I noticed a lot of the following errors:

swap_pager_getswapspace(15): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(32): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(3): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(12): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(3): failed

I didnt check to see what was using everything up. After checking some of the settings, and ensuring that everything was configured correctly, I ended up rebooting the system.

I had started to make heavy use of iohyve running about 10 VMs (that might be my issue). After rebooting I havent noticed any problems for the last few hours.

I run an i5 processor (dual core), with 32GB of memory. I agree, SWAP is a necessary evil. If the issue pops up again I need to check out what is actually using SWAP. Thanks again for the response!

fracai

Guru
I saw the same swap_pager_getswapspace error earlier this week. I had a single iohyve vm running Debian, but the only process running inside was an unconfigured Crashplan server. I rebooted and haven't seen it again yet. I didn't spend much time trying to figure out what the cause might have been. I could only access the system via IPMI.

Oh, the freeze seemed to coincide with the start of a scrub, but I can't be sure. I have since manually started a scrub without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.