TrueNas under ESXi and precautions

jamiec1

Dabbler
Newbie to TrueNas here

As per the info @

I have created raw disks for my 2x4TB drives from ESXi v7.0 U1 to pass them through directly to the TrueNas VM

Do I still need to disable the scrub tasks in ZFS as per the above link ?
And about write caching, I assume this doesn't matter now ?
I am not using RAID from my server

TIA

RegularJoe

Patron
The only way to do it is to have a LSI SAS HBA with the right firmware and you pass that PCIe HBA from the OS to your VM. You must have VT-D enabled and with VMware 7.0 I have had issues where if you install FreeNAS/TrueNAS and tell it the guest OS is FreeBSD 12 you are in for a rough ride. Be accurate and if the FreeNAS OS is FreeBSD 11 x64 then make sure you tell VMware that is the case.

RDM on VMware and RAID cards are a curse as well as SVR-IO unless you have enterprise gear and know what your doing and why.

I run all tasks on my physical disks, what I do disable is smart on a VMware virtual disk that resides on a VMFS datastore as the smart values would be useless as it is a virutal device, in times past it would make the SMART service fail to start.

RegularJoe

Patron
RDM on vmware has been cursed from day one. Anyone who has used it has come beck even to vmware crying.

mstang1988

Contributor
Newbie to TrueNas here

As per the info @

I have created raw disks for my 2x4TB drives from ESXi v7.0 U1 to pass them through directly to the TrueNas VM

Do I still need to disable the scrub tasks in ZFS as per the above link ?
And about write caching, I assume this doesn't matter now ?
I am not using RAID from my server

TIA
Why not utilize PCI(e) passthrough? Doing so effectively gives the VM native access to the hardware (by more or less mapping the PCI address space to the VM). The big benefit is you don't have a metalayer between the disks and the VM when done.

jamiec1

Dabbler
The only way to do it is to have a LSI SAS HBA with the right firmware and you pass that PCIe HBA from the OS to your VM. You must have VT-D enabled and with VMware 7.0 I have had issues where if you install FreeNAS/TrueNAS and tell it the guest OS is FreeBSD 12 you are in for a rough ride. Be accurate and if the FreeNAS OS is FreeBSD 11 x64 then make sure you tell VMware that is the case.

RDM on VMware and RAID cards are a curse as well as SVR-IO unless you have enterprise gear and know what your doing and why.

I run all tasks on my physical disks, what I do disable is smart on a VMware virtual disk that resides on a VMFS datastore as the smart values would be useless as it is a virutal device, in times past it would make the SMART service fail to start.

I am using TrusNas Core 12.0-u1 does that use FreeBSD v12 also ? I assume so but I am not sure

jamiec1

Dabbler
Having read through all of this I have learnt a lot

I think i'll have to invest in the Smart array controller for this server, it is an HPE Microserver Gen 10+
I initially tried the passthrough but ESXi was greyed out and had nothing to select. I think I need the external card HPE Smart Array E208i-p SR Gen10