TrueNAS Scale storage is full, can't access shares or apps to free up space

drewbacca503

Cadet
I have a 3TB drive in my TrueNAS Scale setup, shared through SMB. Recently, apps stopped launching and my SMB share became inaccessible. Looks like my hard drive is full, causing the SMB share to shut down and not be able to restart.

How can I access the files so that I can clear up space and get this going again?

I did search, but could not find this particular problem. I have some tech skills, but am pretty new here. Thank you!

Specs:
OS Version: TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.3
Product: MS-7818
Model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory: 23 GiB

Kailee71

Contributor
Did you try ssh? Just shell into TrueNAS and tidy up from there.

Also, you are aware that with a single drive you have no redundancy and open yourself up to a much higher risk of data loss, right? I don't even want to mention a backup strategy but that should also be a consideration...

Also, how did you configure your machine to have 23GiB? Even if it's a typo and should read 24GiB, it seem a suboptimal design.

drewbacca503

Cadet
Did you try ssh? Just shell into TrueNAS and tidy up from there.
I'm sorry, I don't actually know what this means. Can you link me to an article or something that can walk me through it?

Also, you are aware that with a single drive you have no redundancy and open yourself up to a much higher risk of data loss, right? I don't even want to mention a backup strategy but that should also be a consideration...
My main 10TB NAS that I use for my home business is RAID5 and backed up, that's my important data. This NAS is made from an old computer I had and has nothing vitally important on it, just media that I wouldn't be terribly disappointed to lose.

Also, how did you configure your machine to have 23GiB? Even if it's a typo and should read 24GiB, it seem a suboptimal design.
It has 24GB, but I assume that for whatever reason only 23GB is usable. I'm not too worried about it.

It has 24GB, but I assume that for whatever reason only 23GB is usable. I'm not too worried about it.
Some could be used for the Intel integrated GPU.

I'm sorry, I don't actually know what this means. Can you link me to an article or something that can walk me through it?
SSH, and using the command-line terminal, goes beyond a simple "read this article" to get up to speed and start using it comfortably. Are you familair with using the terminal in a Linux PC? The PowerShell in Windows?

In the GUI, do you have access to manage and prune some snapshots? Do you have snapshot tasks configured? Perhaps your NAS is keeping old snapshots that are holding on to deleted data.