TrueNAS Scale not identifying memory correctly

gswhiteuk

Dabbler
As part of a new build I decided to upgrade my DDR 4 memory for my new TriuNAS Scale build.

I installed two DDR sticks of 32GB each giving me 64GB of memory, well at least that is what I thought.

I booted and installed the latest FreeNAS software 22.12.3.3 onto my boot SSD. Set the normal parameters for networking etc and rebooted the server.

When everything booted I connected via the web browser, only to find that TrueNAS was reporting my server only had 32GB of memory! Strange I thought.

I went on the console, opened a linux command line and typed 'free -m' to see what the system was reporting the installed memory was. It also reported 32GB!

I rebooted and checked in BIOS. BIOS Stated 64GB of memory.

So I took out the new 64GB of memory and replaced with my old 4 x sticks of DDR4 memory = 32GB which I knew worked perfectly.

When FreeNAS booted it reported 16GB of memory in the system. once again half the correct amount.

So I booted a Debian installer on a USB 3 stick. No issues, reported 32GB of memory. I then tried Windows 10 and Windows 11 and neither had issues and reported the correct memory.

I then re-installed the 2 x 32GB sticks = 64GB and went through the same tests without any issues!

So after that long winded explanation why is FreeNAS not identifying the correct RAM???

Can anyone help or offer advice please?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Have you tried TrueNAS again? This could very well be a dodgy memory channel mixed with crap memory controller init code. It could've been fixed by reseating/replacing the DIMMs.

gswhiteuk

Dabbler
Thanks very much for you reply. It was indeed a dodgy memory channel. I now have a working system.

Now for the painful days restore

Thanks again