Migration from CORE to SCALE ended in grub rescue

zervu

Cadet
Hello,

I finally decided to upgrade my CORE (13 U4) installation to SCALE (Bluefin). I used the upgrade function in the web UI. After rebooting, the system didn't come up on my network, so I installed a GPU and saw the following error:
Code:

error: no such device: <long id>.
error: unknown filesystem.
Entering rescue mode...

ls shows that all drives are connected. Checking the bios shows my boot SSD as available and as selected boot medium.

Do you have any recommendation on how to proceed?

Checking Google, there is one similar case from August, with no solution.
Link to Reddit Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/truenas/comments/15it33a/grub_rescue_after_migration_from_core_to_scale/

Hardware:
  • Asrock A520M-ITX
  • AMD Ryzen 3100
  • 32GB ECC memory
  • 4 SATA SSDs (2x2TB, 1TB and a 64GB boot drive)
  • 350W bequiet power supply

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Reinstall CORE and restore saved configuration. Update to 13.0-U5. Then try again. Apart from that no idea, sorry.

zervu

Cadet
Reinstall CORE and restore saved configuration. Update to 13.0-U5. Then try again. Apart from that no idea, sorry.

Update: I decided to reinstall CORE 13U5.3 from a USB stick. I didn't need to upload the backup of my config as it found the config still stored on my boot drive.

I then downloaded the manual update file for SCALE, uploaded it to the manual update function in the CORE web ui and started the upgrade. However, with the same result. It restarts the system and ends in grub rescue.

Is it possible to install SCALE from scratch and upload the backed up config from CORE? I found one thread on it, but it's not clear to my if it works or not.

zervu

Cadet
Update 2:
I formatted my boot drive and installed a fresh SCALE installation and used my backed up CORE config file. It seems to work now, although I still need to check if my VMs are still working