Truenas Scale Crash

pchevall

Cadet
Hi there,

I've been experiencing some pretty frequent crashes lately, after sometimes hours to a day it crashes, it becomes unreachable and I can't connect to it by any means unless I restart. At first I thought it could be related to my network card and I got an Intel one but that didn't resolve the issue, and checking the logs I found that the crashes are always after this:

Mar 27 10:20:08 truenas systemd[1]: Starting system activity accounting tool...
Mar 27 10:20:08 truenas systemd[1]: sysstat-collect.service: Succeeded.
Mar 27 10:20:08 truenas systemd[1]: Finished system activity accounting tool.
---> you can see here when I found out it had crashed and I restarted
Mar 28 12:56:36 truenas syslog-ng[4109]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.28.1'
Mar 28 12:55:19 truenas kernel: microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x21, date = 2019-02-13

I have no idea where to begin

----------------------------------------------
Truenas: TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4
Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v
Processor: Intel i5 3570k
Memory: 32GB non-ECC
Network card: Intel I210
Disks: 2 x 2TB Seagate barracuda

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Gaming boards aren't recommended for TrueNAS, because they typically overclock by default. Disable all overclocks in the BIOS, and run your RAM at stock speeds.

My TrueNAS Scale System always crashes when I copy a lot of GB of data to the system using SMB share.
After it crashed, nothing works anymore: no video output, no keyboard, no ssh, no webpage, nothing.

What could be reason for crash? Where do I find log files?

My hardware:
- Mini-ITX Board - B550I AORUS PRO AX with Realtek 8125® 2.5GbE LAN

Can it be due to some driver issue in TrueNAS Scale?
If I do not find a solution, I need to switch to some other system.
I need to figure out if using other OS software, this also happens.

pchevall

Cadet
I had issues with the system when transferring large files that went away after I changed the RAM. I'm still trying to figure out several other problems though. My transfer speed over SMB is really slow and I randomly loose connection.

To check whether there is some hardware failure or so, I installed Linux Mint instead on the machine.
I copied lots of Gigabytes of data. No crash at all. Everything is working fine.
So I guess my hardware is ok.

Must it be some driver issue in TrueNas Scale? Something with the NIC Realtek driver?
I tried USB NIC, which also has Realtek 8125. Also crash after copying lots of data.
Only using the docker apps, system works fine so far. But then there is not a lot of data going through.

My hardware:
- B550I AORUS PRO AX with Realtek 8125® 2.5GbE LAN
- AMD APU 5600G
- 2 x 8GB 3200 MHz RAM
- Several NVMe and SATA SSDs

I liked the idea of TrueNAS Scale, also because of the web interface. My plan is to have a second NAS for "not so important" data. So no RAID is needed. For important data I have my Synology with two drives in mirror RAID.
I also like the TrueNAS Scale Web interface for docker/container.

But... if system always crashes (or in other words: I cannot be sure that it runs stable on my machine), I cannot use it unfortunately :-(
Any ideas from anyone? Help is appreciated!

I might use Linux Mint instead, will create some SMB shares, and for running containers I can use docker / portainer instead.