Truenas Scale as internet access gateway?

eingemaischt

Dabbler
I am planning to install Truenas Scale with Trucharts on my Zotac ZBOX nano - it has 2 NICs and to use it as internet access gateway.

Is it possible to configure the system to
- use PPPOE on one NIC for internet access
- enabling IP forward with NAT (for v4)
- enabling DHCP for my home net
- have a basic firewall /paket filter?

With this features I would be able to replace my plastic router and get a more configurable system....

Heracles

Wizard
TrueNAS is not meant at all for that. What you need is more something like pfSense. TrueNAS is meant to be a storage appliance and should not be exposed directly to Internet.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Assuming you can pass NICs through to a VM (about which I make no assertion, as I just don't know, but the underlying KVM technology certainly has this capability), you could, in theory, install pfSense/OPNsense/Untangle/whatever in a VM, pass the NICs through to it, and use that VM for this purpose--if your hardware is otherwise suitable for TrueNAS. And there seem to be lots of products called "ZBOX nano", so I can't really say if it is or not--but my bet would be "no." I'd agree with @Heracles in favoring a bare-metal installation of your router software of choice on this hardware, and look for something else suitable for a NAS if you want to do that too.

eingemaischt

Dabbler
I know. You are absolutely right - but I wouldn't use Truenas as NAS, only for internet access and application/kubernetes hosting. (Nextcloud e.g.).

But thank you, I think I'll have a look at other distributions with focus on firewall hosting...

danb35

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't use Truenas as NAS, only for internet access and application/kubernetes hosting. (Nextcloud e.g.).
ef1.jpg