TrueNAS Scale and Home Assistant (YAML config possible?)

rosk

Cadet
Hello, I'm a brand new user of TrueNAS and so far it has been quite fun to set up. Thanks to some good tutorials I now have a TrueNAS Scale running at home with multiple pools.

I have also a dedicated SSD with a dedicated folder for my app/apps.

I have installed Home Assistant (True Charts version) and got it up and running (new to this as well). But I now see there is a small difference between running it from the app versus on a windows machine or Raspberry. Lack of HACS, no direct access to YAML files etc.

So before I start doing to much, I would like some inputs from people who maybe have already tested and tried different solutions.

If I would like to be able to change my YAML files, what would be the best or easiest way of actions to take??

And what would be the preferred way of installing HA?

-HA as an App in TrueNAS? (Like now)
-HA as an VM in TrueNas?
-HA on a Win10/11 VM in TrueNAS?

I guess there are pros and cons depending on needs. But my main wish is to be able to change the YAML files to customize sensors etc. within HA. I'm also gonna conect a conbee II stick to control my Zigbee stuff. I tried searching but a lot of info is focused towards TrueNAS Core or other types of setup, Docker, Jails etc. This might be the same ting wrapped in a different layout, but as I'm new to this, it's confusing.

Maybe there already are apps to help me on what I search for? Would it be possible to sync my Home Assistant folder with the YAML files on my TrueNAS to my desktop to edit them there? I saw a video of someone remoting into his docker installation as well with a code editor to change his YAML files. but i don't know if that is applicable here?

I would greatly appreciate if anyone have any links to good tutorials I could read/watch.

Thank you