Truenas scale 8 (10) sff ssd hba advice

Wouterplop

Dabbler
Hello there,

I am currently in the possession of a beautiful HPE DL360 gen 9 sff with currently 8 slots. I want to use the true truenas experience. I don’t have any know or experience with hba cards or there cabling. So my question would be to advice what I would need and how it works.

as far as I know is that the server came with the hpe p440ar arrar card for the drives. This isn’t suitable I have read.
Now was reading here and there and the suggested was and lsi hba but there are certain series and cables that are needed.

Now I dont need the newest however I de need to get the max out of my future setup. That would be sata disk like the 870 evo 1 or 2 tb. So now i get confused. Wich controller would get me to the max and why is that. Again I have no experience in raid speeds and writes or anything so plz be kind:)

Currently my setup is on my hp g1 800 running debian 12 and kvm/qemu a few vm including truenas and passing the disks thru. 4x wd red 3tb. Works perfect and migration is really easy from one pc to the other with al the data intact and configuration files etc.
now I want to use the pci hba to make use of the hotswap bays. But looking at my server I see those cables but I am unsure with one these are and wich one i need. Do remember that I am only looking for a hba card to max out my ssd performance so it’s not future orientated in terms if I my this system to the next. This wil be my backup in the future.

Thanx:)