TrueNAS Scale 22.02.0.1 > Upgrade loses network connectivity

digiposs

Cadet
Hello -

I am running TrueNAS Scale 22.02.0.1. When I upgrade to any version after that, when I reboot all of my network accessibility is gone. When I reboot and select 22.02.0.1, everything boots up and works perfectly. At first I thought it was the first versions after that had the problem, but I just tried to upgrade to the latest
TrueNAS-22.02.4 and the problem still persists.

How can I diagnose or otherwise find out what's causing this problem when the upgrade reboots.

Thanks.

-A.J.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please take a few moments to review the Forum Rules, conveniently linked at the top of every page in red, and pay particular attention to the section on how to formulate a useful problem report, especially including a detailed description of your hardware.

You've basically given no one anything to work with, so the responses will tend to be random guesses rather than anything useful.

digiposs

Cadet
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please take a few moments to review the Forum Rules, conveniently linked at the top of every page in red, and pay particular attention to the section on how to formulate a useful problem report, especially including a detailed description of your hardware.

You've basically given no one anything to work with, so the responses will tend to be random guesses rather than anything useful.
Thank you for the welcome.

I was kind of hoping it was a common problem and someone would say you need to do XYZ. I don't really see the relevance of the hardware as everything works fine before hitting the update button and the version increment is so small. I don't imagine there is much of a software difference between 22.02.0.1 and 22.02.1, a super minor increment that would make the motherboard or network cards relevant.

It feels like some sort of configuration or firewall gets messed with during the upgrade. I'm unclear how to diagnose that. I've been using freenas / truenas since the beginning and I've never encountered this kind of quirk.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I was kind of hoping it was a common problem and someone would say you need to do XYZ. I don't really see the relevance of the hardware as everything works fine before hitting the update button and the version increment is so small. I don't imagine there is much of a software difference between 22.02.0.1 and 22.02.1, a super minor increment that would make the motherboard or network cards relevant.

It doesn't appear to be a common problem. The relevance of detailing the hardware is that if there was some minor driver update or tweak that turned out to be incompatible with your hardware, it would be useful to know that your system had, for example, the godawful Realtek 2.5G ethernet card that was disabled recently in TrueNAS Core due to data corruption issues.

If you describe your hardware, you give community members a fighting chance to be able to look for known likely problems.

If you refuse to describe your hardware, then you are essentially asking for someone to walk through every change that's been made to the NASware and contemplate whether or not there is some way in which these changes might cause problems for a random end user's system. That's a heavy lift, and it is unlikely to happen. Is it a driver problem that made the interface nonfunctional? Is it a change to the DHCP code that made it fail to hear your network's slightly nonstandard DHCP server? Is it a change in the networking setup code that caused an ethernet bridge to work differently than it used to? All three of these are very real examples of things that have happened to users in the past. Your refusal to participate in the problem resolution process makes it unlikely that someone is going to randomly guess at what your actual problem is.

digiposs

Cadet
I'm not refusing to participate. I didn't anticipate needing a chipset number to ask for help on losing network configuration during a minor upgrade. I don't have that information handy, but I can definitely formulate a more detailed ask if that's relevant.

Both of your responses seem nice until the last sentence. The last sentences seem unnecessary. I am not asking people to randomly guess. I was asking for guidance on what information would be helpful to post or how to diagnose losing connectivity.

Might I suggest a more simple reply.... "Hey - Welcome to the community. Post your network chipset numbers and maybe someone can chime in with suggestions"

This whole exchange makes me sad.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm not refusing to participate. I didn't anticipate needing a chipset number to ask for help on losing network configuration during a minor upgrade. I don't have that information handy, but I can definitely formulate a more detailed ask if that's relevant.

Nobody's asking you for "chipset numbers". I referred you to the Forum Rules, conveniently linked in red at the top of every page, because in there is a good summary of a lot of the basic things commonly needed. From the Forum Rules:

It's important to remember that hardware information is extremely important when diagnosing problems so please make sure to include this information if you need help troubleshooting a problem. This includes:
  • Motherboard make and model
  • CPU make and model
  • RAM quantity
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives
  • Hard disk controllers
  • Network cards

The most important bits of this, such as mainboard type, CPU and memory, can generally be provided by the system's BIOS by going into Setup at POST. Some other bits might be a bit more obscure, but we can generally work a lot of it out IF you give us something to work with.

Both of your responses seem nice until the last sentence. The last sentences seem unnecessary. I am not asking people to randomly guess.

Whether or not you think you are asking people to randomly guess, that is the net effect of failing to post any useful details. A lack of meaningful details opens the floor to baseless speculation. The last sentences you refer to are intended to emphasize that the path you're following generally fails to lead to a resolution. Some sixteen thousand messages exchanged on these forums gives me some insight into which threads are likely to wind up resolved successfully. I think it is fair to comment on that.

I was asking for guidance on what information would be helpful to post or how to diagnose losing connectivity.

And such guidance was my very first paragraph to you. I quote,

Might I suggest a more simple reply.... "Hey - Welcome to the community. Post your network chipset numbers and maybe someone can chime in with suggestions"

You can suggest whatever you'd like, but I aim for correct responses. There's no reason to think that "network chipset numbers" are particularly relevant. They could be. But they also might not be. My initial response to you referred you to a description of how to submit a useful problem report, which includes a good bit of detail about your hardware, as outlined above.

In any case, I'm going to further mention that none of us here work for iXsystems (unless so badged under the avatar). When interacting with a community of people who are there to help you solve your problems and they offer to share their expertise freely, it might be a good idea to be cooperative and answer the questions asked, even if you might not see the relevance. You need to make it easy for people to interact with your issue. You are the eyes and fingers in front of your system, and the rest of us are at a severe disadvantage because we cannot see your system. Being argumentative about this is basically a disincentive to participation in trying to resolve your problem.

This whole exchange makes me sad.

Exactly.