Stuck on boot up after upgrade to TrueNAS 12 - Read 24 Sector(s)s from ...

xmichael99

Cadet
Hello all,

I upgraded to TrueNAS 12 and now the system won't boot. It worked perfectly with FreeNAS (latest) prior. I had rebooted a couple times prior to the upgrade so I don't believe this is a hardware issue. I've even gone as to do a clean install (after temporarily disconnecting the drives) but yet I am stuck at reading disk.

Here is a photo of my screen https://imgur.com/a/QhhjVf5

No matter how long I wait it never boots. The system boots fine if I disconnect the SAS controller, and again it was perfectly fine free upgrade.

Thanks for your time and help!

xmichael99

Cadet
Hello all,

I sorta solved this, I have a LSI SAS2 disk controller, and after two days of fighting I disabled the option to have the drives attached to this controller bootable. (In my case it didn't matter as I had a dedicated SSD attached to the motherboard directly.) This finally got me booting up, not sure why it was an issue in TrueNAS 12.0 and not FreeNAS 11.3, in any event I am now booted. What is interesting is I see the dreaded "Currently unreabled (pending) sectors) issue for one drive.

The status shows all drives as good, but I am running a -t long test now.

Anyhow please consider this closed, and for future generations googling, try disabling boot-ability on your drives attached to your controller (;