TrueNAS not getting Gigabit speed

UserSN

Dabbler
Hey guys,

So it turned out to be a combination of the NIC & cables driving me insane. At first when I wasn't auto-negotiating to gigabit it was definitely the NIC card, it just failed no matter what cable even one from factory. After replacing my NIC with the 1st one I bought from amazon same problem. I ended up purchasing an Intel card as recommended by you guys and still same problem. With all the NIC swapping I failed to re-test on the Intel NIC with a different cable I did that just now with an old cable and bingo-bango I got up to 94 mbits (a cat5e cable).

Realizing this I pull another cable run out of the spool of cat6 I just bought and made a brand new "long" cable and now I'm hitting 800-900Mbits/sec on iperf. After having made so many cables from a new spool of cable I woulda bet big money on it being anything but the cable and I woulda lost big. Somehow the length I pulled from the new spool was compromised I have no idea how both ends were crimped 3 times to verify so it must have been something in the length that was faulty and not easily visible by only inspecting/re-crimping the ends..

Anyway lesson learned I'm ordering a cable tester so I can avoid any headache's down the road and if anyone happens to read this in the future, please learn from my mistakes. Get an Intel NIC & test the shit out of your cables.

Thank you to everyone for their time on this thread, feel free to message me your "buy me a beer/coffee" links.

Much Love,
UserSN

Last edited:

UserSN

Dabbler
Quick Update on this, I just ran my new cable along the same path of my old cable and BAM I'm back down to non-gigabit. I had the cable directly underneath my home-theatre's amplifier that's all that I could think of so I moved it away, unplugged and re-plugged my cable and I'm back at gigabit. I have no idea but maybe somehow the amplifier on top of my cable was causing some kind of interference?!?!?!? idk maybe it wasn't the cable or cards after all or a crazy mix of all 3 but it's working now that's what counts. I'll investigate the interference thought a bit further and revert back with any findings.

Yep ive seen this few times, once in particular when i did a run up to an attic with the HVAC 220 cabling. I almost mentioned interference. Its also important not to unravel the pairs any further than you need to terminate. There are different twist rates for the purpose of frequency maintenance. They do also sell shielded Cat if you do expect some interference. Of course its costs a ton more. Also be wary of CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum). Ive used this with mostly success where budget was a main concern, but its finnicky, mainly it breaks extremely easily. Solid copper is always the way to go for reliability.

QonoS

Explorer
Quick Update on this, I just ran my new cable along the same path of my old cable and BAM I'm back down to non-gigabit. I had the cable directly underneath my home-theatre's amplifier that's all that I could think of so I moved it away, unplugged and re-plugged my cable and I'm back at gigabit. I have no idea but maybe somehow the amplifier on top of my cable was causing some kind of interference?!?!?!? idk maybe it wasn't the cable or cards after all or a crazy mix of all 3 but it's working now that's what counts. I'll investigate the interference thought a bit further and revert back with any findings.
Maybe it's time for proper S/STP cable? I assume you used U/UTP?