TrueNAS Mini X+ ??

banshee28

Dabbler
Hello, new here and about to setup a TrueNAS soon! :smile:

For many years I have always build my own PC's and really enjoyed putting together the perfect PC for my needs. However times have changed and I feel some pre-built systems are now just as cheap and good as a DIY setup. So for this project, I was thinking of a TrueNAS Mini X+ for my first home NAS for backup, file-sharing, CCTV, etc....

I think a 4 10TB disk setup would fit me perfect with some room to expand down the road. Its very compact, low power, quiet, enough ports, and fully built and supported by ixsystems all as an integrated unit!

So sure I can prob save a few bucks on the hardware doing a DIY but not too much I don't think? This Mini X+ is designed to all work nicely together!!!

I see TONS of threads
on the "WillitFreeNAS" but very little on these pre-built systems. Any suggestions on this? I hope they are good enough, but not sure.

muckmuck

Cadet
I'm considering two Mini's to replace two QNAP's and have similar questions.
1. Where do most people install TrueNAS on Mini's? Single internal non-hotplug SSD? Thumb drive?
2. Can the Mini USB's be connected to individual Linux VM's running on the Mini? I currently have HomeSeer and WeeWX VM's running on Virtualization Station with USB devices presented to the VMs.
3. I think I read that Dedupe is not recommended. Is that still the case with the latest ZFS?
4. Read and/or Write cache worth it? I know it probably "depends" but I would be running 2-4 VM's, 10 docker containers, Security Cameras, PLEX..
5. My QNAP (i5-6500) processor gets pegged transcoding 4k movies. How do the Atom processors do trans-coding 4k?

banshee28

Dabbler
As far as the official Mini's I think the OS installs on a special ssd boot disk, from what I read somewhere. However, I do question what happens if that gets corrupt, does all data get lost or only the OS? Is it a simple replace ssd and re-install? Can or shoud this OS get mirrored to the main storage after its setup? Lots to still figure out, at least for me....

HannesM

Dabbler
In my case, i've one Mini X (4x3GB) and have installed the OS on USB3 Stick that is plugged in at the UBS3 Port (backside).
What you need is an actuall backup of the Configutation and keys (about 1.2 MB TAR File) that can be downloaded in the frontend to you Notebook/PC.

If the USB is broken, you can reinstall the USB or an new USB Stick, update the OS to the level before and upload the backup into TrueNAS.
Reboot the system and an Soft RIAD is comming up with all data (i've tested this 3 times).
Connecting USB to dedicated VMs is not in my scope and have no experiance for you.

Regards
Hannes

banshee28

Dabbler
Nice! It sounds like loosing the Free/TrueNAS OS is not that big of a deal as long as you have a backup right?
I wonder what would happen if you dont have a backup is the data recoverable at all with a re-installed OS? I know a noob question so I will also look to verify this.
As far as my home NAS needs, I think I may continue down the path of the pre-built X+. Fully compatible, warranty, support, etc..

banshee28

Dabbler
Ok think I just found the answer to the restore data without the OS config backup. Looks like it can be done by importing the pool:

"Yes, simply import the pool in a new installation. This is the whole reason that the OS is on a separate device."