TrueNAS M40-HA Experiences as storage for about 200 VMs

MeAndI

Cadet
Hello!
I hope someone could share some experiences with the performance of the TrueNAS in real world.

I have the choice between HP Nimble (Hybrid), IBM V5030e Allflash and TrueNaS to Replace our 3Par. I would love to go with the TrueNAS but it is hard to make the Dollar decission without experiences of comparable companys. The TrueNAS would be a Hybrid with SSDs (raw 42TB) and HDDs (raw 144 TB).

We have about 200 Virtual Machines on a VMWare ESXi 6.5 Cluster. Now we are using a HP 3Par (allFlash) - transparent failover possible.

The Storage (TrueNAS) would be connected with FibreChannel (8 GB) and is only used as a vmfs6 Datastore for VMWare (like our 3Par now). In the future, the TrueNAS should be connected via 40GB iSCSI or NFS but for now, our computes are only FC connected.
Backup runs with Veeam Backup & Replication to a HP Storeonce.

The most intensive workloads would be the 6 SQL Server, 2 CAD Database Server and the ERP System (5 Servers).
Besides this, 1 Windows Fileserver with round about 13 TB Data for about 500 Clients.
35 Citrix Terminalserver.
We have round about 15.000 IOPS (Liveoptics said this) over the whole storage system (3Par).

Does anyone have experiences with a comparable size? I only heard of people with just a few VMs. For sure, HP Nimble serves some benefits with telemetric and so on but the question is, if we really need this.

So...give TrueNAS a shot and prove all the skeptic people the they are wrong or pay 50% more and go with Nimble to be safe in job :D

I would love to hear from you.

Thank you very much and best Regards

P.s.: I was in contact with ixSystems and a partner. They say it is no problem. But for my mind it would be better to have some success storys of a comparable or even bigger company who uses TrueNAS and have maybe also experiences with Nimble and compare it 1on1.