SOLVED TrueNAS destroyed all my data? What happened to "data safety"? :thumbs down:

I ran some recursive "rm" commands from an SSH session as the root user to delete entire directories in a handful of my datasets. I wanted to see just how reliable (and practical) these so-called "snapshots" are. (Apparently ZFS prides itself on data integrity and safety.) :rolleyes:

I forgot to take snapshots of these datasets before doing my tests, and now everything is gone. No files, no folders. All my archived documents and sentimental photos and videos. Gone. Just like that? Really, TrueNAS?

On Windows you can buy software (or try "freeware") that is user-friendly, which can recover accidentally deleted files. I can't find anything like that in TrueNAS or even ZFS. Did the developers even think this through before releasing this to the public?

Why would TrueNAS allow the admin to login as root, and run the "rm" commands, if it doesn't ship with a file-deletion recovery tool?

Wow. :mad:

At least this command works (for now): date "+%B%e"st

Last edited:

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
6b1xrb.jpg

awasb

Patron
  1. “Unix gives you just enough rope to hang yourself – and then a couple of more feet, just to be sure.” ~ Eric Allman
  2. “Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.” ~ Douglas Gwyn

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
My TrueNAS just deleted all the files by itself, I didn't do anything. Just woke up and all my files were gone.

I'm using an ISP-provided modem, and I port-forwarded everything to it so that I can access my files remotely. Don't worry though, I have Windows Defender so it can't be a security issue, and my password was a nice strong one with a capital, lowercase, number, and a symbol. And it's ten characters long!

Password1!

check the date of posting

NugentS

MVP
You could at least have made that highly secure with Pa55w0rd1!

[shudder]

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
You could at least have made that highly secure with Pa55w0rd1!

[shudder]
I've always gone with old faithful hunter2

Also I'm going to shout out @jgreco because he'll get the reference to that, as well as the one in my previous post. The fond memory will probably make the Grinch's heart grow at least half a size.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Why would TrueNAS allow the admin to login as root, and run the "rm" commands, if it doesn't ship with a file-deletion recovery tool?

I recommend you use the emergency recovery mode. Now, this is dangerous magic, and we don't normally recommend this, but you seem pretty clueful.

Shut down your filer. Remove each disk tray, one at a time. Now unscrew the drive, rotate it 180 degrees, and screw it back into the tray. This engages emergency hardware undo mode. Now reinsert the drive. Note that you will encounter some resistance as you reinsert the drive. Most drives have never been put into hardware undo mode, so the insertion may be stiff and you might even hear cracking or snapping noises. This is A-OK, it just means good things ahead. Once you have done this to all drives, turn on the filer again and it will begin restoring your data. Once you are happy with what you see, it is important to disable hardware undo mode. Be sure to shut down and repeat the process in order to place the filer back in normal operating mode.

Good luck, enjoy.

Grinchy

Etorix

Wizard
@winnielinnie Nice impersonation!

Allow me to take this opportunity to congratulate @JoshDW19 and his young and talented consultant for the new TrueNAS logo (horny penguin…).

TheUsD

Contributor
Did the developers even think this through before releasing this to the public?

TrueNAS is working on proof this. However, they are short-handed with individuals like yourself and I'm sure they could use someone of your skill level. Continue to keep finding new ways to destroy data without backup. Report back here with ay updates, please.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I ran some recursive "rm" commands from an SSH session as the root user to delete entire directories in a handful of my datasets. I wanted to see just how reliable (and practical) these so-called "snapshots" are. (Apparently ZFS prides itself on data integrity and safety.) :rolleyes:

I forgot to take snapshots of these datasets before doing my tests, and now everything is gone. No files, no folders. All my archived documents and sentimental photos and videos. Gone. Just like that? Really, TrueNAS?

On Windows you can buy software (or try "freeware") that is user-friendly, which can recover accidentally deleted files. I can't find anything like that in TrueNAS or even ZFS. Did the developers even think this through before releasing this to the public?

Wow. :mad:

At least this command works (for now): date "+%B%e"st

Its Ok you can use Apple Time machine to go back to March 31st...

Etorix

Wizard
Its Ok you can use Apple Time machine to go back to March 31st...
…but don't forget to overclock the CPU to 88 mph! Time Machine needs that.

sretalla