TrueNas core system only on 100baseTX

dragonelixir

Cadet
Hi! I'm having a bit of a problem. I have a system that is used for Truenas rn and only uses 100baseTX. I have tested the pc(nas system) when i was using windows and it had gigabit capabilities (The mobo is a A55M-P33). And used both cat5e and Cat6 cables but still with the same result. And the router is also gigabit capable too so not sure what is happening. anything will helppp. cheers!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Welcome to the forums.

Please note that these forums are community support, and the people you are asking questions of are not paid by iXsystems to do research to figure out what an "A55M-P33" is or what ethernet chipset it might happen to have on it. Even if you Google for it, it brings you to a worthless MSI web page that doesn't identify the chipset. Since this is a device that is literally in your hands, you are in the best position to help us help you by providing a much more comprehensive description of your system. The Forum Rules, conveniently linked at the top of every page in red, describe how to write a better problem summary that is more likely to generate useful responses.

In general, all those old APU-based platforms tended to use cheap Ethernet chipsets such as Realtek or Atheros, many of which are poorly supported in FreeBSD/Linux because their manufacturers don't provide a driver, and often don't even provide documentation on how the chipset works, which leaves it up to being reverse-engineered. No offense to the amazing people who do an incredible job of reverse-engineering these devices, but these are usually not up to par with stuff like the Intel cards, which have Intel-authored drivers.

Linking at 100baseTX is also a common sign that some of the conductors in the cable might be bad, or you might have a damaged jack. These possibilities have recently been fully explored in this thread:

which you might want to read for additional ideas.