TrueNAS CORE - NFSv4 Enabled Crashes System

theprez

Explorer
Hey All,

Running the latest version of TrueNAS Core (13.0-U4) on dedicated server hardware Dell T620 (128GB ECC RAM, 2 Xeon E5 CPUs, Intel i350 GB NICs, LSI 2308 HBA) and all has been well until recently. As part of adding a few new linux clients, we decided to enable NFS 4 (was previously using NFS 3). Shortly after enabling NFS 4, the server crashed. Upon reboot, it will crash again within 30 minutes of writing activity. Disabling NFS 4 resolves the issue.

I can't figure out why it's crashing - is it a known issue? A search of this issue seems to point to using non ECC memory (not the case here), or a non-reputable network card (not the case here) or lastly, a software-based RAID controller (not the case here either)

From a log perspective, nothing really important appears in /var/log/messages.

Any ideas?

Thanks

samarium

Contributor
If there are going to be interesting message with that kind of crash you probably have to be looking at the console. /var/log/messages probably won't get updated as the server is busy engaged in a panic it seems. Probably a kernel memory access, ie bug. You might search for freebsd nfs4 kernel panic etc, maybe even truenas will give you a search hit.

theprez

Explorer
If there are going to be interesting message with that kind of crash you probably have to be looking at the console. /var/log/messages probably won't get updated as the server is busy engaged in a panic it seems. Probably a kernel memory access, ie bug. You might search for freebsd nfs4 kernel panic etc, maybe even truenas will give you a search hit.
Thanks - I should have called that out, nothing on the console just frozen unfortunately.

I'll do some more searching for the terms suggested. - Thanks