TrueNAS core - multiple NICs

agood

Cadet
Well, feels like beating a dead horse but there is no good guide here or anywhere i can find and I have looked for a long time. Windows background here; so while I am familiar with vnet and bridge concepts etc; it is still somehwat confusing and may just come down to wording.

Setup:
TrueNAS core 13
3 NICs: 1 inbuilt, Dual NIC card

The often used phrase that you "cannot use multiple NICs on a subnet" has to be refined as it is misleading and plain not true. You cannot use "Multiple NICs on a single subnet PER HOST"; sure you can use multiple NICs (just one per device or separate network) otherwise you could only use 1 device per subnet which is contrary to the idea of "networking".

So, what I would like and need to achieve:

1 dedicated NIC for host = TRUENAS with static IP
2 NICs in LAGG (or not; does not matter; switch supports it) for everything else = VMs and Jails (Plugins)

What I need to avoid is NAT or VLAN (double NATing does not work for some services and port forwarding and opening ports in a firewall becomes a nightmare); So I would like, like in a virtual switch, attach all devices with a static or DHCP assigned address on the same subnet.

Cheers!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
there is no good guide here or anywhere i can find and I have looked for a long time.

Well, this isn't true.

The often used phrase that you "cannot use multiple NICs on a subnet" has to be refined as it is misleading and plain not true. You cannot use "Multiple NICs on a single subnet PER HOST"; sure you can use multiple NICs (just one per device or separate network) otherwise you could only use 1 device per subnet which is contrary to the idea of "networking".

Well, you're wrong. You can absolutely have multiple NIC's in a subnet. A NIC is a physical ethernet interface, and abstractions such as LACP or bridges require this in order to function. What isn't allowed is for a host to have multiple separate logical interfaces addressed within a single broadcast domain. So you haven't discovered some "gotcha". As I say in the linked article, it's really a terminology problem. You can try stuff like saying "but you say interfaces and that's clearly a NIC" to muddy the waters, as others have tried at times, but the problem is that we just don't have good unambiguous words for "the term for the logical abstraction of a UNIX network interface that refers to the interface that owns an IP address and not the physical ethernet chipset itself."

This is a tough topic to discuss because people have been taught stupid things and it isn't really that easy to understand what's really going on in the first place. It's more complex in the modern era because the NASware now supports virtual abstractions such as virtual machines, jails with VNET, etc., each of which qualify as legitimately separate hosts with their own IP stacks, despite running on a single physical host.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So I would like, like in a virtual switch, attach all devices with a static or DHCP assigned address on the same subnet.
Look for posts from @Patrick M. Hausen on the topic.

What you will want is a LAGG and a bridge (which is the "switch" you're looking for).

it goes like this:

Physical NIC(s) -> LAGG -> VLAN (if you're doing that) -> Bridge (IP address of the host goes here if you're assigning one).

You then attach your jails/VMs to the bridge rather than to a Physical NIC.

agood

Cadet
Look for posts from @Patrick M. Hausen on the topic.

What you will want is a LAGG and a bridge (which is the "switch" you're looking for).

it goes like this:

Physical NIC(s) -> LAGG -> VLAN (if you're doing that) -> Bridge (IP address of the host goes here if you're assigning one).

You then attach your jails/VMs to the bridge rather than to a Physical NIC.
Thanks! Really appreciate everyone's input. It just seems so many bits of information in different areas, trying to collect and make sense of them.
Was easy in the Windows world and despite the notion "What works vs what's right" it worked for many years without too many glitches. In Hyper-V, add HyperV switch (even choose your NIC) - done.

So in order to get my scenario to work, I actually need to tag Switch ports with VLAN IDs?

Sad thing is I need a Unifi controller in order to do this....

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So in order to get my scenario to work, I actually need to tag Switch ports with VLAN IDs?
No... as I mention in my post, you only need that step if you're doing VLANs.

agood

Cadet
Great, thank you, really appreciate your patience. Just one more thing.....how can I attach multiple bridges to a LAGG? I tried and was only every able to attach one?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
how can I attach multiple bridges to a LAGG? I tried and was only every able to attach one?

A LAGG is "one interface" in the sense that it (and all of its child interfaces) is behaving as one "virtual cable".

A Bridge in this case is the equivalent of a Virtual Switch.

In that understanding, how would you normally attach one cable to more than one switch?

Short version: I don't think you can.

But... you can use VLANs to get the "result" you want.

Yes, I know you don't want to use VLANs.

sretalla