TrueNAS Core Dropping Connection For a few Seconds

Misinthe

Dabbler
Good morning everyone,

I know there are a lot of posts about the networking issues on TrueNAS, but please read completely for my issue, thank you.

I had TrueNAS working perfectly for months with just 1 Z1 Pool ( 4 x 4TB WD RED), but I ran out of space, so I decided to add more storage to my box, I bought a HBA card and bought (4 x 8TB Seagate Barracuda, I know they're not the best but is what I can afford), and I also added 1 250 PNY SSD as cache drive for the pool. After doing this changes, I've seen the NAS randomly disconnecting from the network and reconnecting. I'm not sure what the issue could be, I think it might be my NIC, but I don't know why it was working fine before.

I know there's some issues with Ryzen and TrueNAS, I have disabled the 3 things that they say to disable, Global-C, Cool & Quiet and ErP Ready.

Hardware Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6C 12T
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus
PSU: EVGA G3 850
HBA: Dell H310 6Gbps SAS w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT Mode
OS Drive: 250GB SanDisk SSD (plugged to the motherboard)
Cache Drive: 250GB PNY SSD (plugged to the motherboard)
Storage Drives: 4 x 4TB WB Red, and 4 x 8TB Seagate Barracuda (plugged to the HBA)
Network Card: EDUP Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express PCI-E Network Card 10/100/1000Mbps (Onboard died a few months back)
Case: Fractal Design R6

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
EDUP Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express PCI-E Network Card 10/100/1000Mbps

Well, there's your problem. Realtek 8111 cards just don't work really well. We recommend replacing this with an Intel Desktop CT card. Your problems should vanish.

Alecmascot

Guru

Misinthe

Dabbler
Well, there's your problem. Realtek 8111 cards just don't work really well. We recommend replacing this with an Intel Desktop CT card. Your problems should vanish.
I have an extra Intel X710 10Gbe 4-Port, do you think that would work?

st8000dm004 These are SMR drives. Not want you want in a NAS and may have a bearing on your issue.
I know they're not ideal, but it's what I could afford and I heard people have been using them fine.

Misinthe

Dabbler
Talk about going from one end of the quality spectrum to the other. If you have it, definitely try it out.
Haha, I know, it's a bit overkill, I currently have it on my VM Host server, but it's not being used. So if it's better used in my NAS I will move it.

Would I need to reinstall TrueNAS or should the OS detect the Hardware change and drivers? Never done a swap without a fresh install.

Alecmascot

Guru
I know they're not ideal, but it's what I could afford and I heard people have been using them fine.
I suggest you do a test simulting a drive removal and subsequent re-silver !

Misinthe

Dabbler
Talk about going from one end of the quality spectrum to the other. If you have it, definitely try it out.
Question, which one would you think would be best? I have two options.

1) Use the Intel X710 10Gbe 4-Port and only use 1 port to connect to my UDM Pro.

2) Use a Broadcom BCM95719A1904DLPC_05, I can use all 4 ports and create an aggregation on this one.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
But why would the X710 not allow for that?

Misinthe

Dabbler
Well, the Broadcoms tend to suck.
So the Broadcom is working fine with 1 Link, but I was trying to create a LAGG/LACP with my Cisco Switch and I can't seem to find the right settings, do you know the settings or any guide out there that works?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So the Broadcom is working fine with 1 Link, but I was trying to create a LAGG/LACP with my Cisco Switch and I can't seem to find the right settings, do you know the settings or any guide out there that works?

Yeah, I am fairly certain I've heard of problems with both link aggregations and VLAN's on some of the Broadcom adapters. The fix we usually suggest is to replace the crummy hardware with better hardware. The weird thing is that the recommended replacement is typically an Intel Desktop CT board, which isn't the first thing that comes to mind when you think "server", but Intel's driver team is real sharp and usually everything Intel works very well.

Misinthe

Dabbler
Yeah, I am fairly certain I've heard of problems with both link aggregations and VLAN's on some of the Broadcom adapters. The fix we usually suggest is to replace the crummy hardware with better hardware. The weird thing is that the recommended replacement is typically an Intel Desktop CT board, which isn't the first thing that comes to mind when you think "server", but Intel's driver team is real sharp and usually everything Intel works very well.
So I have two options to go intel, I have a 4 Port 10G card, I can use 4 links to 1G ports (On the Cisco) to do LAGG, or do 1 link to a 10G port (On the UDM Pro). Do you think the 10G would be more beneficial?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
My feeling is that 10G is almost always more pleasant than Nx1G.