SOLVED TrueNAS Core can't be accessed by hostname - used to work though

ghamauricio

Dabbler
Hello all.

I have two FreeNAS systems which I'm trying to set up as a sort of poor-man's HA.

I have posted another issue here (https://www.truenas.com/community/t...-healthy-upon-reboot-no-drives-changed.92662/) which is probably unrelated, but you never know if a faulty bit on memory could have caused both problems, so I'm mentioning it here.

Anyway, my NASes have been working beautifully for like 2 years or so. Sometimes, my mais server doesn't show up on "Network browser" (either on Windows or on MacOS). The server is accessibly by IP (but I prefer to use hostnames, makes it easier for the wife).

When I typed it's hostname, it wouldn't find the host. Nor pinging (by hostname), it wouldn't find it's IP.

I decided to make a backup of it's smb4.conf and used the WebUI to set it up again.
Now the server at least shows up in network browser (SMB browser from Windows and MacOS, I don't know it's real name), but upon trying to cnnect it times out. Also, ping still doesn't find the IP.

By the way, when I ssh into the server, it does ping itself by hostname.

Any ideas on how to get it working again?

P.S.: Every other computer sees each other on the network, and they also see the other NAS server too, so it's very probably not some firewall/router problem. Even because I didn't change any setting on the router.

webdawg

Contributor
The SMB protocol has stuff in it for hostname resolution. This could be your issue. Something going on there.

I usually setup hostnames via DNS in the router. I hate netbios.

ghamauricio

Dabbler
Hello. I've been kinda busy with work and forgot to come back to tell: went to Network > Global Configuration, clicked save and it went back to normal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯