TrueNAS Core as fileserver in hyper-v on windows 10

dp1971

Cadet
I have a simple PC system at home with 48Gb ram and have saved lots of kids' video and pictures and school stuff etc on my fileserver, basically a 3Tb drive in my PC box. The file server is backed up to my TrueNAS Core (previusly FreeNAS) server almost monthly. Recently, my PC was cryptolocked as one of the kid clicked some crap and that means I lost what was on my PC. Not too much actually as I just reinstalled my windows and all other programs. I have most of my files in my backup server, however I lost good chuck that was not backed up from last one month. That included the pictures and videos of one project that my daughter did for school. Annoyed enough I decide to do something, so i donot lose anything. realtime back up to TrueNAS server was not an option, too much power consumtion. So I did this:

1. Created hyper-V VM on my windows 10 host PC
  2. Installed TrueNAS core in hyper-v vm
  3. Linked my PC (host) and TrueNAS using internal switch
  4. Made my 3Tb drive offline (not visible to host PC) and attached to TrueNAS
  5. Made local file server using SMB shared from TrueNAS to host PC
  6. Snapshot hourly

I believe that my fileserevr is safe enough from cryptolocking, as I heard offline drive is usually safe if your PC is attacked, and hourly snapshot allow me to go back. Any sugegstion if anything can be improved?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I would rather backup (encrypted!) to some cloud provider in that case. In my case I have FreeNAS running 24x7 and do a daily replication to OneDrive with encryption. MS Office 365 Family is on offer pretty often, so I paid around 50 Euros per year and have 6 TB storage, which is a fair price IMHO.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
The cloud is one answer, storing backups offsite is another option. You definitely want offsite backups and with a 3TB dataset, you have many options. It could be as simple as rotating encrypted hard drives from home to external location like a friends or relatives home, work, or whatever.

Top Bottom