TrueNAS core and NetApp DS2246 Disk Shelf

aceniz

Dabbler
Hi,
Just after some pointers with expansion options. I'm looking at expanding my storage and I had read that using a Disk shelf is best rather than a smart array. I've looked into using the NetApp DS2246 which is cheap enough without drives and I can then just add drives later. I wondered about obviously connecting the Netapp shelf to the TrueNAS build. I'd read about using a HBA PCIE controller on the TrueNAS build directly but wondered if I could use the fibre channels on my POE switch. I have the TP Link T2600G-28MPS. so would it be possible to connect from the Netapp DS2246 to the TPlink switch and TrueNAS still see the shelf as disks? or would it be better to connect directly into the TrueNAS with a PCIE HBA controller?
I might also need to know what cables I'd be best using for it to ensure it works correctly.
additionally the NetApp DS2246 has 2xIOM6 controllers onboard.
TIA

Arwen

MVP
I am not sure you understand how an external disk tray works. Your TP Link T2600G-28MPS is Ethernet for network connectivity. The NetApp DS2246 uses SAS protocol, (for disks), which is incompatible with Ethernet. Thus, the recommendation to use a PCIe HBA to connect the disk tray.

The IOM6 is probably just a SAS expander, not a hardware RAID controller. This would allow the use of 4 or 8 SAS lanes to access more than 4/8 disks, (like 24 in the 2.5" disk version of the disk tray).

aceniz

Dabbler
I am not sure you understand how an external disk tray works. Your TP Link T2600G-28MPS is Ethernet for network connectivity. The NetApp DS2246 uses SAS protocol, (for disks), which is incompatible with Ethernet. Thus, the recommendation to use a PCIe HBA to connect the disk tray.

The IOM6 is probably just a SAS expander, not a hardware RAID controller. This would allow the use of 4 or 8 SAS lanes to access more than 4/8 disks, (like 24 in the 2.5" disk version of the disk tray).
Thanks for that. the NetApp DS2246 has 24 disk slots in. I presume Id use a PCIE HBA on the TrueNas with a SFF-8436 to SFF-8088, as I think the NetApp has a 8436 im not sure.

Arwen

MVP
Yes, a SAS HBA with at least one 4 lane external connector is what you want. I don't know about the cables. Perhaps it's covered here?

aceniz

Dabbler
Thanks again. the Disk Shelf has these on the back. the IOM6 I believe is the older 6gbps model.
However from what I just read on a truenas reddit, its not recommended to use a NetApp shelf cos of the cables they use being more expensive, something like a 8496 to an 8088 cable or something.
I cant say I've used disk shelves before as I've never needed the storage space. I've never really delved into the network space past a normal NAS.
The TrueNAS is just a basic i5 3rd gen on an asus board, which has 7 sata ports, 1 for Truenas boot drive and 6 for storage. but now I'm beginning to need more space. I've read that EMC shelves are better, what would be your recommendation for a shelf?
1676326293590.png

Arwen

MVP
Sorry, I don't really have any recommendations for a disk shelf.

Their are smaller and possibly cheaper options, though they still require a HBA with external ports. Here is a pair, for either 4 or 8 disks. I don't know anything about them, other than they are more desktop verses rack mount.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I'd read about using a HBA PCIE controller on the TrueNAS build directly but wondered if I could use the fibre channels on my POE switch.
Those are two fundamentally different connections. They both use fiber optics, and that is roughly how much they have in common. The disk shelve has Fiber Channel, whereas your switch has Ethernet. They are as similar (I am exaggerating a bit) as a loud speaker cable and a power cord for your toaster (both are copper cables).

filippe

Cadet
Thanks again. the Disk Shelf has these on the back. the IOM6 I believe is the older 6gbps model.
However from what I just read on a truenas reddit, its not recommended to use a NetApp shelf cos of the cables they use being more expensive, something like a 8496 to an 8088 cable or something.
I cant say I've used disk shelves before as I've never needed the storage space. I've never really delved into the network space past a normal NAS.
The TrueNAS is just a basic i5 3rd gen on an asus board, which has 7 sata ports, 1 for Truenas boot drive and 6 for storage. but now I'm beginning to need more space. I've read that EMC shelves are better, what would be your recommendation for a shelf?
View attachment 63553

This appears to be the Netapp DS4486 as oppsed to the DS4246 or DS4243. All of these models use a qsfp connector. You'll need a cable that adapts the port on your sas card to qsfp. I think you can use a raid controller with these, but that would be the card in your server. Regular hba will also work. You can also daisy chain these very easily.

Your input to each would be the qsfp port with the square icon and the output would be the port with the circle icon on the same controller. No need to use both of the controllers unless you are multipathing, which I don't recommend for your purposes. The controller on the right in this image would just be idle. If you're using the DS4246 or DS4243, the top controller would be used and the bottom would be idle.

If you do need raid with a non-raid hba card, you should be able to implement this within the host OS. It should be fairly straight forward. If you are using an hba, you'll want it in IT mode. There are several videos how to flash these cards. LSI SAS9207 would be a good option and they usually come ready to connect. If you use that one, you'll need an sff-8088 to qsfp cable.

These netapp shelves are a great option. A good low cost option would be the DS4246 or DS4243. The DS4243 would be slightly less expensive as it is 3gbps compared to 6gbps for the iom6 controllers in the DS4246. Either of those can use SAS or SATA drives and you shouldn't need interposers for it. If you go with the DS4486 that's pictured here, it's a 48 bay unit instead of 24 and you can only use SATA drives in it from my experience. I've heard the emc shelves can get loud, but I don't have experience with them.

Hope this helps.