Need some Expert Advice

WellisKelly

Cadet
Hi All,

I’ve been a Synology and QNAP user for years but I’m ready to make the jump to TrueNAS. I’ve been fortunate to inherit a few pieces of hardware to get me started on the process. But I’m looking for the TrueNAS experts of the world to offer a Newbie some advice and answer these questions for me.

1- Should I install TrueNas on a USB, an internal drive (Slot 3 or 4 – 300GB) within the server or somewhere else?
2- What’s the proper way to wire the DS2246 to the HBA? Am I using two QSFP to Mini-SAS cables to connect the IOM’s to the HBA or just one? Which IOM should I connect (A or B)? Should I connect to the Circle Port or Square Port?
3- I have a few more Disk Shelves. What’s the best way to connect those to the server/HBA? Daisy Chain from the NetAPPs?
4- Intending on using TrueNAS for Plex Storage and VM Storage. Should I use a separate server and HBA to use for the VM Storage?
5- The TrueNAS installed doesn’t see the any drives connected to H240. Do I need to configure 12 Logical Drives?
My lab consists of the following:
  • HP Proliant DL380p Gen 8 (12 3.5” LFF) – Slots 1&2 – SATA 500GB, Slots 3&4 – SAS 15K – 300GBm Slots 5-12 - SATA 4TB -
  • Server came with a HP P420 Raid Card internally, but I hooked the 12 Drive Backplan up to a HP H240 HBA via MiniSaS. -Added a LSI 9207-8E 8 Port Card. Not sure of the firmware
  • (4) NetApp DS2246 – All fully loaded with 900GB SAS Drives
  • (1) NetApp DS4246 – Loaded with 4TB but soon replaced with 14TB & 10TB drives
  • (1) NetApp DS4486 – Empty (for future use)
  • HP Proliant DL580 Gen 8 – 4 Xeon Processors, 48 cores total, 2.2TB Memory, (2) 480GB SAS Drives. (This is the ESX Host)
I’ve seen some videos that said I should install TrueNas on a SSD drive but the DL380p doesn’t have an internal SATA power port for me to power one. So I’m left with using my SanDisk 256GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive as the boot drive or using drives from the 12 internal.
I formatted the NetApp drives back to 512b via ubuntu and TrueNAS sees them when I run the installer, but when I have cables connected to both IOMs it sees 48 drives in the chassis instead of 24. So I’m thinking both cables don’t need to be plugged in but I could be wrong. Also is there a difference between the circle and square ports?

So my questions are again:
1- Should I install TrueNas on a USB, an internal drive (Slot 3 or 4 – 300GB) within the server or somewhere else?
2- What’s the proper way to wire the DS2246 to the HBA? Am I using two QSFP to Mini-SAS cables to connect the IOM’s to the HBA or just one? Which IOM should I connect (A or B)? Should I connect to the Circle Port or Square Port?
3- I have a few more Disk Shelves. What’s the best way to connect those to the server/HBA? Daisy Chain from the NetAPPs?
4- Intending on using TrueNAS for Plex Storage and VM Storage. Should I use a separate server and HBA to use for the VM Storage?
5- The TrueNAS installed doesn’t see the any drives connected to H240. Do I need to configure 12 Logical Drives?

HarambeLives

Contributor
Welcome to the forums, not sure why you have no replies here. Perhaps no one thinks they are experts :tongue:

1. Don't go USB. Go with mirrored SATA SSD's for best reliability. Hot swap if you can swing it, but internal is fine too, as the chance of needing to replace the boot drive should be low. I went internal because I wanted to save the hotswap bays

2. I think two, but you can easily just experiment with this

3. Daisy chain for sure

4. One would work, but I would go with two. Then you can replicate important data between the two for added protection. VM storage and Media storage don't really overlap at all, so two servers would work. Nothing saying you cant start with one and then move to two if needed though

5. Do you have it configured to HBA/IT Mode? It needs to be