TrueNas as X-Raid Resyncer or data recovery?

andreb

Cadet
Hey Everyone, I'm new to TrueNAS.

I've used entry level commercial NASes in the past and their shortcomings was what made me invest in building my own NAS server with TrueNAS for storing all my content.

Now that I have it almost up and running I'm wondering if it can help me recover data from a previous failed NAS.

This is my post from 5 years ago describing the problem:

I've have been using a ReadyNAS104 as my main media storage unit to back up videos and photos.

I have it configured as X-RAID and 4x 3TB seagate barracudas.

Some time ago I started getting some errors and warnings on disk 1 and then some time after disk 2.

I ordered a few replacement drives and replaced disk 2 as from the logs it looked like the one that was in worst shape.

Everything went normal and it started to resync.

At about 75% (3 days in) it seemed like it got stuck, so I restarted the system and it happily continued. However when it got to 95% disk 1 failed completely.

At first I panicked, but even with disk 1 out, and just 3 disks in (2,3,4) it still worked and I would access the files via windows explorer. So I assumed it was able to finish.

So I entered a fresh disk in to bay 1 and found it strange when it didn't try to resync it and rebuild the array.

I restarted the system again and now all drives are red and it seems to just not recognise the drives as an array.

Note that the original damaged disk 2 still works fine and the "dead" original disk 1 also spools up and seems to work fine externally, it feels like there is some loss of communication because all the information necessary to rebuild the array is present but it's just not being accesses (or at least that's what it feels like to me).

So the old drives have been sitting in the corner for 5 years and now I'm wondering if I can plug the drives into to the new server, and somehow use TrueNAS to resync or recover the data and transfer it to the new disks on the server? Any help greatly appreciated