TrueNAS as all-in-one Domain Directory Server (AD)?

Cupax

Cadet
Hello.
Can TrueNAS Core be configured to be an "all-in-one" box: a file server and a domain server for Windows based clients?

We are a small business with 8 PCs (Windows) and need a reliable local server for files. Our files are huge (video editing) so cloud computing is not an option.
Our server needs only to provide files and have a centralized credentials manager - to have one login for Windows and NAS access.

DNS, DHCP and other network features are managed by our router.

We were super happy with our 8 year old Windows Server, but it died recently. We would not like to go Windows Server again mainly because of cost.

Alternatively, I know Synology DSM has a "Directory Server" plugin, that does just that - transforms a NAS in a "all in one box" solution. But a good Synology NAS would also cost a lot.

Since we have a spare PC that we could run TrueNAS on, can it replace an "all-in-one" Windows Server?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can TrueNAS Core be configured to be an "all-in-one" box: a file server and a domain server for Windows based clients?
No, at least not using the included services. Of course, you could always load Windows Server (or some other OS that will provide it, e.g., Nethserver) into a VM and provide AD services that way. But TrueNAS itself doesn't provide this.

Cupax

Cadet
Bummer. I really hoped it could to that.
We'll opt for Synology then.
Thanks danb35.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Bummer. I really hoped it could to that.
We'll opt for Synology then.
Thanks danb35.
Do note that running a single domain controller on your storage server is a considerable deviation from what is considered best-practice in the industry. You should have a minimum of two DCs in your domain and it's highly preferable to keep storage and DC roles on separate server instances.