TrueNAS and ubuntu LAMP server

Posting here because I am such a noob I am unsure about the setup... I just know what I want do...

1. I want raid network storage for video, pics, etc. => so I built a machine specific for this and installed TrueNAS.... cool

then I got to thinking... I also want to run a LAMP server and I wondered if I could do that on the same machine in some way. preliminary reading and guessing leads me to believe I can run a LAMP server by setting up a VM with TrueNAS and then installing ubuntu on that VM then the LAMP software....

Am I approaching this right? Not sure what other information I may need to provide but that is what I want and how I was thinking I could get it done... I was hoping someone with more knowledge of TrueNAS might hit me back to let me know if I am approaching this problem in the right way or guide me to a better solution if there is one....

Cheers,

Travis

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
LAMP is for Linux.

TrueNAS CORE / FreeNAS is FreeBSD.

FEMP is the stack name for FreeBSD.

You can install FEMP in a jail or run Linux in a VM and run LAMP on that.

A jail demands significantly fewer resources from your NAS.

Whattteva

Wizard
FEMP is the stack name for FreeBSD.
I'm sure you meant FAMP? Only the first initial changes (Linux -> FreeBSD), the rest of the stack remains the same.
Actually, it would stay LAMP since OP said that he wants an "Ubuntu VM".

Note to OP: I'd run FAMP in a jail instead. You'd incur less performance overhead unless you need to also install some Linux-specific thing that doesn't exist in FreeBSD ports collection.

sretalla