TrueNAS 13.3 Wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

victort

Guru
I'm not @dak180, but I'd put Cloudflare at the top of the list (as apparently you folks did as well, it's one of only two others (in addition to Route53) that you've as yet put into SCALE). It's one of the most popular DNS hosts at least in the SOHO/SMB environment, which is no surprise since their DNS service is free and they have a robust API. If you're going to be getting a cert using DNS validation, Cloudflare is probably the most widely-recommended DNS host for that purpose.

And you've already done the work and testing to integrate it, so...
Definitely.

TheDragon

Cadet
If you desperately need it, please explain why.. and add a NAS ticket.

You asked for which specific providers people wanted - does this still need another ticket? As the reason why will be the same for all of them.

Would it not be simpler to just incorporate acme.sh? Given that project has already done all the legwork adding support for the numerous providers. Or is there a reason it can't be?

It's supports FreeBSD, more info:

A list of all providers included:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Re: ACME DNS authenticators
Each one requires work and testing, so we would prefer the must-have list. Which one do each of you specifically need?
ACME DNS would be a start, because it's more or less standard and self-hosted. There's even a FreeBSD package for it that can easily be run in a jail. (I created the port :wink:)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Bhyve with Ubuntu keeps locking up
I am confident this one will be fixed by simple shipping the versionof bhyve that is an integral part of FreeBSD 13.3.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
My absolute #1 request:

Bhyve with Ubuntu keeps locking up
<https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-122108>

(I went as far as rebuilding bhyve from source to get this fix from upstream.)

@morganL can the ticket please please be reopened so it's not lost / forgotten.

Any chance you can review the nightlies or look at the FreeBSD 13.3 source for the fixes?

Also like to see if the SSH key issue is solved by 13.3......

Last edited:

seanm

Guru
Each one requires work and testing, so we would prefer the must-have list. Which one do each of you specifically need?

I'd like to see EasyDNS support. Why? Because that's the DNS provider I use.

pfsense, also based on FreeBSD, supports acme.sh, which I think is a great way to get support for a lot of different providers.

Do you really want new tickets created for each different provider? NAS-115350 already has 28 upvotes.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Would it not be simpler to just incorporate acme.sh?
Not really. Because every DNS provider has its own set of credentials, and that means a different web form, making sure it sets all the appropriate variables, input validation, etc. Repeat x 150 or so to cover all of them.

seanm

Guru

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I'd like to see EasyDNS support. Why? Because that's the DNS provider I use.

pfsense, also based on FreeBSD, supports acme.sh, which I think is a great way to get support for a lot of different providers.

Do you really want new tickets created for each different provider? NAS-115350 already has 28 upvotes.
We want to know which ones are required....so we can decide how we could handle.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
We want to know which ones are required....so we can decide how we could handle.
I vote for at least one self-hosted provider for which I suggest acme-dns as the natural choice.

danb35

Hall of Famer
pfSense manages it without needing 150 different UIs:
The docs pages don't give much detail (who needs screen shots, anyway?), but they make it sound like that's exactly what they do.

The other option, which would be relatively simple to code, would be to just give the user a text box to enter all the relevant credentials, like:
Code:
CF_Token="Y_jpG9AnfQmuX5Ss9M_qaNab6SQwme3HWXNDzRWs"
CF_Zone_ID="763eac4f1bcebd8b5c95e9fc50d010b4"

...and maybe even a text box to enter the name of the DNS authenticator (dns_cf for this example). But that makes the dependency on the third-party tool explicit, and sends the user to the acme.sh docs to figure out what to enter. Not the best UX.

Status
Not open for further replies.