TrueNAS 12.0 U1 stucked on HP Microserver Gen 8

jegib

Cadet
Hi,
I used TrueNAS 12.0 on my HP Microserver Gen8 (base Celeron G1610T, 12GB ECC RAM) without any problem, but after the upgrade to 12.0 U1, its hanging during the boot at the following part:
Képernyőfotó 2021-01-04 - 18.34.33.png

Then I reinstalled the TrueNAS, but getting the same stuck...
Any idea how can I solve it?
Thanks in advance

Borja Marcos

Contributor
Odd, I am running TrueNAS on a Microserver Gen8 (although I replaced the CPU with a Xeon) and it runs without issues.

Can you check any changes made to the BIOS configuration? Can you try to boot from a TrueNAS memory stick to check if maybe some tuning value makes it stop?

KrisBee

Wizard
@jegib Installed and running from usb or ssd? If USB, did you check for available space before upgrading, maybe the USB mem stick has a problem.

jegib

Cadet
@KrisBee its running on a single dedicated SATA HDD.
@Borja Marcos I did not made any changes in BIOS before or after the upgrade, but doublechecked, and seems to me everythings fine.

KrisBee

Wizard
@jegib Please list your boot device and any data drives as the forum rules suggest. I've no idea if you have just a single drive in our microserver gen8 to test the install and no data drives, or some other configuration.

jegib

Cadet
@KrisBee Its not a tricky setup, there are 4 WD Red in a ZFS pool, and a single boot drive (500GB HDD), no esxi, no usb, no other layer.

KrisBee

Wizard
OK, so it's maybe a laptop drive in the ODD bay and is the embedded controller definitely set to AHCI mode in the BIOS? Your pool config was what: raidz1, raidz2 a strip of mirrors? Advanced ilo4 license or basic?

jegib

Cadet
exactly its a laptop drive in the ODD bay and the controller is in AHCI mode. I have an advanced ilo license and the pool is raidz1.

jegib

Cadet
Strange, but the problem solved. I had iLO 2.76, so i upgraded to the latest version (2.77). After the ilo restart I have no more problem. Thanks for the help all of you.

KrisBee

Wizard
Glad to hear the problem issolved. Mine probaly needs updating again before moving from FreeNAS to TrueNAS. Vaguely remember seeing there was a glitch with one of the recent versions. I'm a bit behind now.

ILO May 07 2019 2.70

jegib

Cadet
Yes there was some problem around 2.73, but i have no issue with 2.76 except now. If you upgarde it, do not forget to turn of the AHS Logs, which can kill the ilo's nvram. In previous versions had no option to turn it off, so I strongly recommend to upgrade.

KrisBee

Wizard
Thanks for tip, I've made a note of that one.

blanchet

Guru
On ILO 2.55 you can disable AHS Logs in Active Health System Log | Advanced Settings
So if you have an old version of ILO you can stay with it.

jegib

Cadet
@blanchet sry my fault. Yes you can disable it, but as i remember there are a bug, after each reboot, it will be active again, I don't remember exactly the affected versions, but as i remember they fixed it in 2.76.

blanchet

Guru
@jegib Thank for the details, it is very useful for HPE Microservers owners.
I have just updated from iLO 2.55 to iLO 2.77, and everything works perfectly.

The upgrade is easy:
  • Download cp046021.exe from HPE website
  • Unzip it
  • Connect to ILO
  • Go to Administration / Firmware
  • Upload ilo4_277.bin
  • Wait few minutes
  • At the end iLO restarts
  • That's all

After the iLO upgrade, AHS Loggin was enabled again. So I have disabled it again, but the setting is persistent after a reboot.

Borja Marcos

Contributor
Keeping iLO up to date is a good idea anyway. If only because they added a proper HTML5 console interface instead of relying only on Java.

Thay said, my favourite iLO feature is ssh console access as long as the OS keeps the console in text mode.