TrueNAS 12.0 U1.1 - Web Interface not accessible after restart

Ragetti

Dabbler
Hi all,

Would anyone be able to assist me with the following issue that seems to occur consistently when restarting the server. On boot I receive the following message:

The web interface could not be accessed.
Please check network configuration.

To enable the boot to continue I have to continue to Configure Network Interfaces and then reset them. Once I have done this, the system continues to boot and I am able to access the web gui.

This issue is persistent since updating to TrueNAS and has not been resolved since updating to U1.1 yesterday (27th Jan).

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

ccssid

Explorer
Once you have your system up and running, go to your router and give your server a static /manual ip address. Worth a try.

Ragetti

Dabbler
Once you have your system up and running, go to your router and give your server a static /manual ip address. Worth a try.

Sorry, I should probably have mentioned this already but the system already has a static IP set from my router already. Also, no static IP set on my NAS server - it is set to receive DHCP from the router.

Heffy

Dabbler
@ Ragetti, I wonder if this has something to do with the driver issue that some NICs are experiencing? I was a little concerned about updating to U1.1 when I read about that and the fact it wouldn't be fixed till U1.2

After you have got the GUI up, have you been in and checked/saved settings through the GUI? There are cautions that certain settings aren't saved through command line/terminal session into the NAS box. Therefore, It might be worth a try.

Asus Motherboard, 16 Gb Ram
1 x 240 Gb SSD boot drive
1 x 3Tb & 4 x 4Tb WD-Red CMR NAS Hard Drives
Configured as RAIDZ2
TrueNAS 12.0 U1.1 on FreeBSD
Intel NIC
Old Compaq mid-size 6 bay case

Ragetti

Dabbler
@Heffy It seems to be saving on the GUI but I am not sure what the issue is in the first place. Any suggestions?

Heffy

Dabbler
@Ragetti apart from saving settings from within the Web GUI, I don't know what else to suggest. I just wonder if rolling back to TrueNAS Core 12.0 if that was the path you took from FreeNAS 11.3

The warning that appears when you open a shell from the GUI (not sure if this applies from the console on the box itself though).
Warning: settings changed through the CLI are not written to the configuration database and will be reset on reboot.

MOBO: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 USB 3.0
CPU: AMD FX-8320E Eight-Core Processor (3214.50 MHz K8-class)
RAM: 4-4Gb DDR3 1333 ECC Memory
PSU: ???
NIC: Intel 82576 Gigabit
BOOT: 240Gb PNY SSD
DRIVES: 1-3Tb & 4-4Tb WD-Red CMR NAS Hard Drives Configured as RAIDZ2
CASE: Compaq mid size 6 bay case
TrueNAS Core 12.0 U1
FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p2

Apollo

Wizard
@Ragetti, out of curiosity, are you running VM's or jails?
How long did you wait before trying to connect to the GUI?
The web interface can only be accessed after some or all the enabled services are up and running.
When jails and VM are being started, the connection may drop and should come back.
Are you using Address Binding?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The simple fix is to statically address your interface, and not rely on DHCP. The DHCP facility is there to help on initial out of the box setup. For production use, you should really have a static address for your TrueNAS system.

Ragetti

Dabbler
@Ragetti, out of curiosity, are you running VM's or jails?
How long did you wait before trying to connect to the GUI?
The web interface can only be accessed after some or all the enabled services are up and running.
When jails and VM are being started, the connection may drop and should come back.
Are you using Address Binding?

1. I am not running any VMs but using a jail for Plex
  2. I have tried waiting for up to an hour before but the boot process always stops at the same point with
    The web interface could not be accessed.
    Please check network configuration.
  3. I believe that the web GUI is bound to the wildcard 0.0.0.0

Apollo

Wizard
  1. I am not running any VMs but using a jail for Plex
  2. I have tried waiting for up to an hour before but the boot process always stops at the same point with
  3. I believe that the web GUI is bound to the wildcard 0.0.0.0
Maybe Plex is causing the network to fail. There was/is a setting in the jail which needs to be set a certain way for the jail to not break network connectivity. Can't remember what it is.
The part I can't understand is what is giving you the error message? Is it Firefox/chrome when trying to access Freenas via the Web interface or is it coming from a different source?
If you have access to the console (ie display/monitor and keyboard), you can stop the jail manually and maybe try to restart network. You can also go through the network config once more.

Ragetti

Dabbler
I have to plug in a monitor and keyboard to the server in order to view the error message and reset the network configuration. Otherwise the NAS is not accessible at all.

I have attached an image of the message that happens every time I need to restart the server. I have also attached some screenshots of the network settings in my Plex plugin.

I have tried restarting Plex etc but that doesn't seem to make any difference when server restarts - it consistently encounters the error preventing the boot.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    269.6 KB · Views: 381
  • Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 12.13.41.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 12.13.41.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 411
  • Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 12.13.02.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 12.13.02.png
    253.2 KB · Views: 387

ccssid

Explorer
Could it simply be an issue with your NIC: Realtek® RTL8111H, support LANGuard

Ragetti

Dabbler
Could it simply be an issue with your NIC: Realtek® RTL8111H, support LANGuard
I don't think so, prior to the TrueNas upgrade I had no issues like this at all. I was running 11.2 and 11.3 with no problems. Although, unless this NIC isn't supported anymore?

Ragetti

Dabbler
That does look likely, from looking at the links but I don't understand why I have only been seeing issues since updating to Truenas?

Would you guys suggest installing a more reliable and supported NIC going forwards? If so, does anyone have any suggestions on Hardware?

ccssid

Explorer
That does look likely, from looking at the links but I don't understand why I have only been seeing issues since updating to Truenas?

Would you guys suggest installing a more reliable and supported NIC going forwards? If so, does anyone have any suggestions on Hardware?
Look at my signature for my backup NAS

Ragetti

Dabbler
Look at my signature for my backup NAS
That was the card I was look at myself, but glad to know it wasn't just me having a hard time with Realtek!

Thanks for the advice all!

Heffy

Dabbler
@Ragetti it looks like you have some information missing.

In the jails basic properties, you do not have an IPV4 interface specified. In this field you should have "vnet0" without the quotes of course. Also on this page, you should have "24" in the netmask field.

The screen shot of the jails network properties look exactly like mine apart from the MAC address numbers.

Under Network, Network Summary does it show interface rtl0 (mine is igb0 for my Intel NIC) or something similar with an ipv4 address of 10.0.1.*/24? The * being the ip address of your TrueNAS box.

When I got into this at the end of FreeNAS 9 or 11.1, the Intel NICs were one of those recommended. Check the documentation for hardware recommendations. I'm not sure, but I don't think I've had any issues with it except maybe speed caused by the driver issue in TrueNAS Core & U1.1

I hope this helps.

MOBO: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 USB 3.0
CPU: AMD FX-8320E Eight-Core Processor (3214.50 MHz K8-class)
RAM: 2-8Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600 UDIMM Memory
PSU: ???
NIC: Intel 82576 Gigabit
BOOT: 240Gb PNY SSD boot drive
DRIVES: 1-3Tb & 4-4Tb WD-Red CMR NAS Hard Drives Configured as RAIDZ2
CASE: Compaq mid size 6 bay case
TrueNAS Core 12.0 U1
FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p2

Heffy

Dabbler
Under Network, Network Summary does it show interface rtl0

rtl0 should actually be re0 for your NIC per FreeNAS 11.3 supported ethernet interfaces here.

Apollo

Wizard
@Ragetti I think vnet is actually one of the issue.
I would still like to verify your system can reboot and see if you can access the web interface. You can edit the jail so that it doesn't use "Autostart". From there, rebooting will or should give you an indication whether this work or not.
If it does work, then you can start exploring vnet.
On my end, I don't have "Berkeley Packet Filter" enabled.