TrueCommand 2.0 BETA is now available!

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I'm pleased to announce that our first BETA of TrueCommand 2.0 is now available for installation and testing!

This is a massive update to previous 1.X series of TrueCommand, and includes new functionality for much improved storage monitoring, dataset management, cluster creation (With TrueNAS SCALE), iSCSI management and more. (EDIT: Is now live) A full blog post will be going live in the next day or so with much more details and screenshots of the new TrueCommand in action. In the meantime please feel free to give 2.0 a while and give us any feedback during your testing.

Release Notes

Download Docker Images

Blog Post

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Great news. Yet, TNC managed systems still do not show active SMB and NFS mounts. I shrugged it off while running the nightlies, but shouldn't a BETA be feature complete? Does this warrant a JIRA issue or is this not yet implemented as I suspected?

I have at least one active SMB and one active NFS mount on this system right now:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-04 um 22.23.27.png

If this is known already and still calls for a new issue - is it a matter with TC or with TNC?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Could be an issue on 12.0-U3 or TC itself, we'll need to dig in to see. Can you toss us a bug ticket on Jira?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Murrmanone

Cadet
Hello.... Do you have an updated Beta 2.0 VM image yet? Can I run something inside my already running VM to upgrade to the 2.0 Beta? Im not familiar with Docker.... I am currently running the VM in an Oracle VM VirtuaBox.

Murrmanone

Cadet
"Can I run something inside my already running VM to upgrade to the 2.0 Beta? " Yea I need help or instructions on installing TrueCommand "Docker" in Proxmox or TrueNass.... I currently have 17 hosts, how can I tell how many disks I have in total with truecommand?

aervin

iXsystems
iXsystems
@Murrmanone Your disk count is available on the Administration page (top-right "cog" icon -> Administration).

For your setup, which OS will be hosting docker? Docker is available for several common platforms. I use Ubuntu 20 + docker, for instance.

Murrmanone

Cadet
Thanks for the quick replies. I found a great walkthrough to install Docker straight into Proxmox. Did a crash course in Docker and pulled the Docker 2.0 Beta.... I guess container :smile: Ran it and bam i am up and adding systems!!! Its looks awesome! Thanks!
Links I used...
Install Docker straight into Proxmox
How to actually run it and make it autorun :smile: From the Truecommand Forum...

Some feedback based on the latest TC 2.0 nightly image...

tc1.jpg

Issue #1 - Same alert reported multiple times

This alert was reported once on TC 1.3.2...

tc2.jpg

...but three times on the nightly. Note the identical time stamps.

tc3.jpg

Issue #2 - Incorrect reporting of SMR drive

I have a system with two SMR drives. I've just replaced one overnight (WD60EFAX -> WD80EFBX).

TC 1.3.2 correctly reports that I still have one SMR drive.

tc4.jpg

TC nightly incorrectly reports there are two SMR drives.

tc5.jpg

Issue # 3 - Alert counter not being reset

After deleting all alerts in TC nightly, the alert counter on system tiles are not being reset.

tc8.jpg

EDIT: The counter eventually clears, but it takes a very long time!

Last edited:
Latest nightly...

The system tile gives no indication that an update is available...

tc12.jpg

Drilling down on the system tile, it's clear an update is available.

tc13.jpg

In addition, the update button doesn't work. When clicked, the following dialogue appears.

tc14.jpg

Last edited:
tc15.jpg

The USED figure on a system tile is rounded to a whole number, which isn't particularly useful when monitoring incremental change in used space. It should be rounded to at least one decimal place like the AVAILABLE capacity. Logging onto this system, I see that 1.43 TiB has actually been used and this figure is rising as a result of a restore of a large dataset through a replication task that is in progress.

EDIT: TC 1.3.2 displayed the USED figure to two decimal places.

Last edited:
The latest nightly does not show replications in progress...

TC 2.0 nightly...

tc16.jpg

TC 1.3.2...

tc17.jpg