Trouble with Dual LSI Raid cards and a Mellanox 10Gb in a Z400

ZiggyGT

Contributor
I have 16 drives I am trying to connect to my FreeNAS server with two HBA cards and a 10Gb network card. Cards are:
  • Fujitsu D2607-A21 FW:P20 9211-8i IT - Avago Firmware 20.00.07.00-IT
  • SAS9200-8i controller - LSI firmware 10.00.08.00-IT
  • Melanox X2 10gb MNPA-19-XTR
Sometimes the Avago Firmware will appear on bootup and everything works well, all 16 drives are seen. But if the LSI firmware runs, I get a couple errors and then the only the 8 drives on the Fujitsu controller are seen. I found that if I put the AVAGO card in a different slot if would nearly always win out and the drives would configure as I desire. When I installed the Melanox card, the AVAGO firmware would never run. I upgraded the firmware on the Melanox, no joy. I deinstalled the Mellnox card. I installed an Intel X520-SR2 10Gb card. No trouble with the AVAGO bios but that card does not like any of the transceivers I have:
JDSU PLRXPL-SC-S43-42B
SOLARFLARE PLRXPL-SC-S43-SF
MELLANOX MFM1T02A-SR

but
STRATOS SPLC-20-F-1-D (4GB taransiver) does work but I need the same transceiver in the switch and performance less less than I was hoping for.

Please help me with this puzzle.

Can SAS9200-8i be upgraded to the same firmware? The broadcom web site is very confusing. Can the LSI Bios be turned off?
What is the trouble with the MELANOX card, that messes up the HBA controller?
Can the intel be upgraded to use the 10GB transceivers?\

Thanks in advance for some advice.

Last edited:

ZiggyGT

Contributor
I found that the Intel X520-SR2 10Gb card only wants an intel optical transciever. No issue with copper but the optical is fussy