Transmission incomplete-dir permissions issue - debug help

Berkyjay

Contributor
So I know that there are thousands of posts with Transmission permissions issues. I've read through them all and tried all the suggestions. But this issue still persists for me. The other problem is most of these posts are years old now and could be out of date. I'm currently running 13.1 with Transmission in a jail.

So the specific problem I have is with the "incomplete-dir" setting. When this is disabled, my torrents download without issue. But when enabled, I get a permissions error on the file that I am downloading (not the directory). I feel I have opened up all the involved directories with groups and users all with 921 GID. I've even chmod 777 the "complete" & "in-progress" directories. So at this point I'm at a loss. At the very least I'd like to know if there is some log file that transmission outputs that would help me debug this.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention, that I have also tried various settings with "unmask" and none of those worked yet. Currently I have it set to 0.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
So I know that there are thousands of posts with Transmission permissions issues. I've read through them all and tried all the suggestions. But this issue still persists for me. The other problem is most of these posts are years old now and could be out of date. I'm currently running 13.1 with Transmission in a jail.

So the specific problem I have is with the "incomplete-dir" setting. When this is disabled, my torrents download without issue. But when enabled, I get a permissions error on the file that I am downloading (not the directory). I feel I have opened up all the involved directories with groups and users all with 921 GID. I've even chmod 777 the "complete" & "in-progress" directories. So at this point I'm at a loss. At the very least I'd like to know if there is some log file that transmission outputs that would help me debug this.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention, that I have also tried various settings with "unmask" and none of those worked yet. Currently I have it set to 0.
Do note that GID 921 will need access to the full path to wherever it's supposed to access. There are lots of howto guides that advise things like chmod 770 /mnt/tank (with it owned by root:wheel). This will prevent transmission from being able to write to /mnt/tank/transmission because the process will not be able to traverse /mnt/tank (no execute on directory).

Berkyjay

Contributor
Do note that GID 921 will need access to the full path to wherever it's supposed to access. There are lots of howto guides that advise things like chmod 770 /mnt/tank (with it owned by root:wheel). This will prevent transmission from being able to write to /mnt/tank/transmission because the process will not be able to traverse /mnt/tank (no execute on directory).

Thanks for the response. I am kind of lost in what you're trying to tell me though. Are you saying that the entire path of my transmission jail needs to have 921 access? Or do you mean the path for my mounted dataset that it's writing to?